Best wishes for you Greg!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    I have some left over paint.
    Need help to make Hallett let us know.
    jb

Holy smokes! :wink: You ok I hope?? Any idea what happened?
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Oh man ... that looks scarey.

:shock:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    WOW....what happened? Driver and car ok?

All OK, and thanks for the concern. You would think I could at least get the "R" off before having such a high profile!

One should never do that sort of thing alone. Fortunately I had my wife, son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter there with a perfect view. Also my buddy Brian who got me into high-performance driving in the first place.

They don't show in the picture but there was really quick response by corner workers who backed off a bit when it went "flame on" (for all you Fantastic Four fans). They had been laying on the dry mix but were out of view when this picture was snapped. It really doesn't do them credit. They kept knocking it down which probably saved the car until the truck got there and cooled things off with water.

I haven't had time to do a good check, but it was most likely a fuel line or pump (it pees on my trailer when the ignition is on) that went bad after 20 years. Go figure. Most of the real fire was on the ground but I've got some scorched paint.

Long way to go for a BBQ.

Man, glad to hear that!! Would love to get more details like were you just getting on track, how'd you figure out what was going on etc. Oh, and...you coming to Hallett?? 8)
    Al Fernandez

The incident was in the Sunday race so at least I got to run Saturday.

I got four good laps in (8 minutes into a 45 minute race...) and then could not get the revs beyond about 4800 and everyone ran away. So I was thinking of pulling in but figured at least I was having fun in the corners and even lame seat time is better than nothing. Especially 11-1/2 hours from home.

Then I got some smoke in the cockpit entering the second straight. Game over.

Mindful that corner workers have fire extinguishers and are trained to use them, I headed for a good parking spot off the track across from a flag station. It was convenient for the fire fighters and actually right on an interior route that let the flatbed carry me off without interrupting the racing for everyone else.

Hallett is a long shot but there's a maybe in that.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_FW
    Mindful that corner workers have fire extinguishers and are trained to use them, I headed for a good parking spot off the track across from a flag station. It was convenient for the fire fighters and actually right on an interior route that let the flatbed carry me off without interrupting the racing for everyone else.
    You just received bonus points in the driver respect category ...