Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wheels

Senior Member Grass-Passer Hood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg
    Gary - who on the left coast in CMC2 is using these rims?? So far, I haven't seen any, but then, I haven't raced in NorCal since last year.
    Some guy that beat you at the last race had some modded lightweight wheels (not the ones in the pics here) that are available through the Mazda people at Buttonwillow (but you didn't hear that from me). I thought is was extraordinarily creative.
    Gary Hood
    CMC #20
    OH WOW! Racing

Guys, put the pitch forks and the torches down, geez. Why does every discussion about anything in the rulebook turn into a mud sligning party?

Matt, I've said it before and I'll say it this last time: cut out the personal insults against Tony or any other official. I suggest you re-read section 23 of the NASA CCR before making the next similar comment. Tony hasnt raced had an f-body since late 2002 and ALL series officials were involved in writing the rule as it sits. You can keep your $10.

There are plenty of rules in CMC where one platform has an edge over another. You simply cannot take one individual rule and decide that it is not right. You have to take the entire rule set as a package. Is it easier for 4th gens to find and use 9.5" wheels? Yep. Is it easier for 4th gens to get to minimum weight? Nope. Just an example. The bottom line is every platform has their advantages and disadvantages. You pick your poison.

If you think that the rules should allow you to build one platform that maximizes each and every aspect of the book then you probably need to rethink your concept of platform parity.

I think the discussion around what constitues the weight of the wheel is a good one, especially since it hasn't come up before. I have no firm opinion yet. We know Glenn's: wheel weight is only to consider the permanent mass of the wheel (no balancing weights, no spacers). On the other end of the spectrum you could consider wheel weight to include balancing weights and spacers. That might be a very good way of looking at it, particularly from a 3rd gen perspective, though it is much more difficult to enforce.

I'm open to suggestions and will open a new thread for this. I think it does need definition. Once (if?) we reach agreement of what we'd like I'll take it to the other officials.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez
    Matt, I've said it before and I'll say it this last time: cut out the personal insults against Tony or any other official. I suggest you re-read section 23 of the NASA CCR before making the next similar comment.
    Whatever dad...

I ain't going to apologize for anyting I have ever said about Tony. Be thankful I edited my response before I posted it. It was an inference and he's used to it by now.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez
    On the other end of the spectrum you could consider wheel weight to include balancing weights and spacers. That might be a very good way of looking at it, particularly from a 3rd gen perspective, though it is much more difficult to enforce.
    Glad you mentioned that! Never crossed my mind (I was just thinking of wee ~1/4" spacers). Looking at eventually going into CMC2, it's looking like 2" adapter and 4th gen wheels are one of the few viable options. With not counting those adapter (Hey Hood, can you weigh one of mine your borrowing for us?) that's another ding against the 3Gs.

*edit* Oops... forgot... rules now allow 3 piece wheels :roll: Maybe I'll sell a kidney and get some CCWs A-Sedan what?
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Any of you guys have one of these wheels that I can have/ buy?

I need a rear wheel, just need one.

one of my set is bent
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith350
    Any of you guys have one of these wheels that I can have/ buy?

I need a rear wheel, just need one.

one of my set is bent
    I have seen hundreds on 3rd gens up on blocks all over Oklahoma for the last 6 weeks.... I really hate Oklahoma as of late.
    Ah, fugg it.