View Poll Results: what should be included in wheel weight measurement?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • only the permanent material that makes up the wheel

17 70.83%
  • the wheel, balancing weights, spacers, extra studs & nuts if the spacers are "bolt on" type

7 29.17%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CMC wheel weights

CMC wheel weights

AI has no limit on wheel weights, so this is strictly CMC. In there, the rules state minimum weight of 16" wheels is to be 16lbs and 17" wheels is to be 18lbs.

What the rules do not state is whether the weight of the wheel shall consider only the wheel itself or can include weight of other hardware such as balancing weights and spacers.

I see advantages and disadvantages to both sides but Mitch will get upset if I voice them...so, what say you?
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I think "wheel" is pretty self-explanatory.

What about a 50lb "Lite-weight Wheel" wheel adder and run whatever wheels you want? You declare you want to run "Lite-weight Wheel," note it and bump the mininum weight on the windshield sticker.

Someone can protest a competitor for $20 and help 'em take the wheels on/off/to the scales.

Yeah, yeah sprung vs. unsprung weight...

Rookies.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

Re: CMC wheel weights

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez
    but Mitch will get upset if I voice them
    uncle

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    There is no vote for what I think so:
    I like the setup Marshall has on his wheels. It is a form of press fit spacer that sticks to the wheel when removed. To get the spacer off you have to tap on it with a screwdriver and hammer.

I know it would be a little more information to keep but it could be noted the spacer thickness and material on the dyno sheet or log book. You could take the manufacturer wheel weight and then weigh the spacer with a postal scale to get your total weight (at least 18 lbs, or whatever).
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    thats just a normal hub-centric spacer.

uncle
    :lol: alright I'll stop
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    In reality, A typical compliance check will be to dismount the tire and weigh the wheel....not going to start asking for studs & spacers & other stuff to weigh with that wheel.

With 20 votes in its 75% in favor of the wheel alone, no add ons that arent permanent. I realize this voting could be messed with but that appears to be the majority view, which I'll happily support. Please do email me if you think otherwise.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Why not make it the tire/wheel package instead of just the wheel.

Reasoning:

- It should be a weight "as raced", like current total weight is measured, so that it's fair and real. But only those components that make up the wheel package. A spacer is for track width and/or suspension tuning, not wheel weight. But, balance weights are a part of the package. Being as wheel offset is unlimited (to a degree), if someone wants to go to the trouble and expense of welding a spacer to a wheel in order to make minimum, then go ahead ... as long as it meets whee/tire weight minimums, what's the big deal.

- It wouldn't require breaking down a tire in order to measure. It could be done with a jack and a lug wrench at the track. As the car rolls off the scales, it moves to impound and a tire/wheel is removed, excess rubber "buggers" are brushed away and weighed. Simple. If you are close on bathroom scales, chances are good you could be under on the "official" scales. So just like we currently walk the line with car minimums, wheel minimums can be treated exactly the same. It's a given and accepted practice.

- The weight of the tire is a given so no one can fudge there. If you want to know the weight of the rim, do a little math. Some words about shaved vs unshaved, new vs old, etc. could be added for clarification. Personally, a mounted bald 16" and a mounted bald 17" should be the minimum.

FWIW

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    Why not make it the tire/wheel package instead of just the wheel.
    I think the idea is right, but wouldn't it still effectively fix the weight of the wheel since we all use the same tire?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!