Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB 10th Anniversary Cobra Wheels...

Senior Member Grass-Passer

WTB 10th Anniversary Cobra Wheels...

Let me know what color you have.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you can't find the right color.....there's always powdercoating......I know a really good one :shock: :roll:
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith350
    If you can't find the right color.....there's always powdercoating......I know a really good one :shock: :roll:
    I'd rather not powdercoat aluminum wheels if I can avoid it.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    send me a quote to do the centers of a set of GTAs. I wanna to the centers in Neon green and leave the rims silver. Will it mess up the clearcoat? you can pm me with the quote.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40
    Why Robert? For most powdercoating, the part is only subjected to approx 425 degrees part metal temperature for typically 15-20 minutes. That won't be enough time to significantly reduce the strength of the aluminum alloy.

The vast majority of visible metallic portions of aircraft seats (the industry I'm in) are powdercoated. And they take one hell of an impact during our deceleration sled tests. (Basically 44mph to zero in a 120 millisecond pulse generating 16G).

If you want to see the stress/strain curves for aluminum alloys at elevated temperature vs time, let me know and I'll see if I can dig them up.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27
    Send me a quote to do the centers of a set of GTAs. I wanna to the centers in Neon green and leave the rims silver. Will it mess up the clearcoat? you can pm me with the quote.
    David, you can have the PC shop mask any areas that you don't want the powder to cover.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    Why Robert? For most powdercoating, the part is only subjected to approx 425 degrees part metal temperature for typically 15-20 minutes. That won't be enough time to significantly reduce the strength of the aluminum alloy.

The vast majority of visible metallic portions of aircraft seats (the industry I'm in) are powdercoated. And they take one hell of an impact during our deceleration sled tests. (Basically 44mph to zero in a 120 millisecond pulse generating 16G).

If you want to see the stress/strain curves for aluminum alloys at elevated temperature vs time, let me know and I'll see if I can dig them up.
    Thanks for the comparison marshall! I'm actually the powder coater. that's some great info to tell my customers.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Jeremy Gunter's Avatar
    Rossco, Maybe you could show that data to your uneducated customers... I had the same view on powdercoating alum. for years...
    Mosty Brothers' Racing
    #22 CMC2
    I have groupies...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Gunter
    Rossco, Maybe you could show that data to your uneducated customers... I had the same view on powdercoating alum. for years...
    Yeah...that's some good stuff. What most people don't know is that the vast majority of the wheels you see are powder coated (at least on newer vehicles) Thanks again Marshall!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Robert....quit reading that stupid shit on Corner Carvers. Those ninnies could turn a hot tub full of naked supermodels into a "OMG don't do that!" scenario...

Powder coating is a one time gradual "heat cycle"..... I would be more afraid of ever bolting them onto a race car with a 1200 degree brake rotor "heat cycling" the wheel 5 times a day.... :roll:
    Ah, fugg it.