Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-weekend rule for R888's

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar

3-weekend rule for R888's

On the national board, there was mention of a region that allows 17's in CMC because everyone there was ok with it.

Could we propose a similar exemption to the R888's? Is there anyone that would be opposed to allowing it for the entire year? The only area I could see this being an advantage is MAYBE in a rain race.

As a part of this extension, all NASA spec tire classes will be going back to the Toyo Proxes RA1 as the required tire. This will become effective January 1, 2010 with a three-weekend grace period to allow the use of the previously allowed R888 tires.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    Seems reasonable to me. I would not have an issue with running 888s for next season.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i'm OK w/ it.
    but, do not show up w/ a new set. use up what you have and move back to the RA1.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I am perfectly fine with it....However...it needs to be spelled out if 888's are allowed for all races or just non-wet races.

Personally... I would like to see 888's allowed all year without any restrictions to wet or not.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since mine only have two dry races on them I would like to keep them as rain tires and also if something happens to one of my RA1's I could use the 888's to finish the weekend until I could get a new RA1. I usually purchase 6 new tires but would like to only buy four at first since I need new wheels also. When you take the dyno, new tires and wheels, a medical, another years membership, and a entry fee for the first race it comes to over $2100.00 I will have to spend between now and the first race.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    I would support a regional exception for open use, wet or dry, of R888's for the entire year. I have an almost new set that I could use as rain tires. Also, I woudn't disapprove if someone bought a new set of R888's. They may be the only thing available, at least initially, depending on RA1 supply. I'm sure Toyo and their dealers wouldn't mind selling a few sets.

How do we make this regionally "official".
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Rookie
    If I can get my hands on some RA-1's in January, I would like to keep my R888's I have now for wet tires, or as just-in-case tires for the rest of the year.
    Nick Valentin

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Good thread Gary. Thanks.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    +1 ok for R888's all season. I have a new (to me) set of RA1's, and a used set of R888's that I was planning to keep as backups/spares in case of a puncture or other issue.
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Remember I have two 245/45/16's for sale for $250.00 for the pair. They are brand new RA1's shaved to 4/32 (or 2/16 or as we should say 1/8"). I paid over $500.00 for them.

JJ