Thread: Ackerman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ackerman

I never really understood it but this article makes it a little easier.
    I think I got it now. Enjoy.

http://autorepair.about.com/gi/dynam...principle.html

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Ah yes, I remember now.
    Ackerman= toe out in turns.

When a car turns, it's rear axle is aligned with the pivot point of the turn, forcing the front wheels to follow two different arcs.

Here ya go:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Grass-Passer Hood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edrock96GT
    Ah yes, I remember now.
    Yes, sort of... it describes the dynamic toe change acquired by the different angles of the steering arms. By design it SHOULD produce the required toe-out (a lot of formula cars have adjustable ackerman for tuning).

When a car turns, it's rear axle is aligned with the pivot point of the turn, forcing the front wheels to follow two different arcs.
    Here ya go:
    Almost true... actually a line perpendicular to the center of the car close to half-way between the axle centerlines is aligned with the pivot point (center of the turning circle). This point varies with wheel-base (the reason it isn't exactly half-way is because the rear wheels aren't turning away from the circle, kinda like the GMC truck with 4-wheel steer). The rear axle centerline traces an arc somewhat aft of the pivot point. In the above sketch, if you drew a vehicle centerline perpendicular to the rear axle centerline, the front tires are nowhere near equidistant off the vehicle centerline.
    So... yes, the front tires have to follow different radius arcs in order to be "scrub free" during their roll. And, actually, the rear tires do this as well but they are not on the same arcs as the front tires... they are following on shorter radius arcs.

my .02
    Gary Hood
    CMC #20
    OH WOW! Racing

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood
    Ah yes, I remember now.
    Yes, sort of... it describes the dynamic toe change acquired by the different angles of the steering arms. By design it SHOULD produce the required toe-out (a lot of formula cars have adjustable ackerman for tuning).

Here ya go:
    Almost true... actually a line perpendicular to the center of the car close to half-way between the axle centerlines is aligned with the pivot point (center of the turning circle). This point varies with wheel-base (the reason it isn't exactly half-way is because the rear wheels aren't turning away from the circle, kinda like the GMC truck with 4-wheel steer). The rear axle centerline traces an arc somewhat aft of the pivot point. In the above sketch, if you drew a vehicle centerline perpendicular to the rear axle centerline, the front tires are nowhere near equidistant off the vehicle centerline.
    So... yes, the front tires have to follow different radius arcs in order to be "scrub free" during their roll. And, actually, the rear tires do this as well but they are not on the same arcs as the front tires... they are following on shorter radius arcs.

my .02
    THE HELL YOU SAY!!??

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    My mistake, I didn't mention that the rear wheels are following a shorter arc than the front (and my diagram doesn't show it)...whoops. :wink:

I was taught that the rear axle is on the pivot line though.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

If you are driving slow enough for the rear wheels to follow that pace, you ain't got a hair on your nuts.....YAW is what turns a car...especially a CMC car you pussies!!!!!

Ah, fugg it.

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    If you are driving slow enough for the rear wheels to follow that pace, you ain't got a hair on your nuts.....YAW is what turns a car...especially a CMC car you pussies!!!!!

I do believe there was a CMC car at Nationals that consistantly had the rears OUTSIDE the arc... :P