Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old School Iron

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    Marshall, believe, I understand what you are trying to prevent.

But in yours and Matt's scenario, if I straddled the curb at T1 at NPR and ripped the floor pan out of my car, I would either have to buy a replacement tub or buy a donor car for it's floor pan.

Forming a piece of sheet steel of similar thickness and weight isn't an option.

Now, ask again ... why are AI costs sky-rocketing?
    Correct. However, you could replace the panel with one from a mustang if it's cheaper! LOL!!!!

the reason AI costs are skyrocketing is because of people like you Mitch that read between the lines and say "what if" and the fact that many racers have more money than skills. I just LOVE whipping their asses with a garage built car with bolt on parts that have been around for 15 years.
    Ah, fugg it.

Mustang floor pans are $35.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMK-3020-511-64R

While I can appreciate the cost savings of flipping an old stopsign over and welding it in, I don't think the difference of $20 is an example what's driving AI costs up. :roll: :lol:

-=- Todd
    National AI Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scopx
    Unfortunately, its just a coupe that I started to redo and the futher I got into it, the worse the sheet metal,floor pans got. So I just pulled power train out and pushed it outside to rust. Now after drooling here for weeks and having rules up in the background to review, am leaning towards possibly doing the AIX thing.

Thanks
    TLS

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    So Todd ... were trying to prove a point to me or help the OP?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    the reason AI costs are skyrocketing is because of people like you Mitch that read between the lines and say "what if" and the fact that many racers have more money than skills.
    What reading between the lines? No where does it say "repair MUST be made using OEM components". Remember, that's what the OP is trying to do ... repair.

The AI rule only loosely addresses "alterations" that can accomodate AI additions or deletions. And it only comes close in the CCR where it says OEM-like and meets a 50/50 rule.

And you, of all people, should be on the "not much money, but lots of skills" bandwagon. Don't penalize those who can think, build and fabricate.

Write a rule that says what it means, and there is no interpretation. Write a rule to try and encompass the world and you begin to get interpretations on both sides of intent.

I have no problem mandating OEM only replacement internal and external panels. If that's the "intent" then write it in.

Loose wording is what causes the costs to go through the roof.

Junior Member Rookie
    Again thanks for all the input. And I can appreciate everyones position here.
    The floor pans are not that big of deal to replace. I was just looking for ease of installation, and wanted clarification so as not to paint myself in a corner like the 67 yellow fastback in attached thread. In this case, would have to do both sides from firewall back.
    All or most of the upgrade mods to suspension I was going to build myself, control arms and all. Usually if I can get good look at it, and study it for bit to determine it function, can make it, albeit with lot of bitching and redos. (Was orginally trained as "combination body & paint" man as they called it in olden days.) Did do the shelby drop,adjustable control arms, and Granada disc conversion on my 65 coupe from scratch by gleaning info from internet. In other words, nothing original on my part, just following where others have gone before. But am little hazy on "adjustable" Ackerman.
    So, thanks for the council. I will continue to ruminate. Just hate to see the old coupe go wanting.
    TLS

Might show up at a track function in future to observe and eyeball at close proximity AI & X vehicles, but that would prob just shove me over the edge concerning decision.

Quote Originally Posted by scopx
    TLS

Might show up at a track function in future to observe and eyeball at close proximity AI & X vehicles, but that would prob just shove me over the edge concerning decision.
    Best thing you can do before you spend a dime on anything.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I do know of a '69 Camaro that will be racing in AIX next year.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waco Racer
    I thought BL drove a '68.

I'm leaving the '69 "stock"
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383
    Quote Originally Posted by Waco Racer
    I thought BL drove a '68.

I'm leaving the '69 "stock"
    Rookies :roll:

Junior Member Rookie

Have made decision

After much consternation and deliberation, have decided to build a streetable open roadster with halo cage acceptable to NASA regs. And will be designing/building own front suspension and "welded sheet metal" floor pan. Then can have it both ways (if can pass tech inspection.) If I interpret regs correctly, would then be placed in SU class.
    So may see you down the road somewhere Guys.
    Still hate to see the old beast lying out in the weeds.

Thanks for all the input.
    TLS