Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing antilock brakes

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

removing antilock brakes

My new car has the fuse pulled but all the anti-lock crap is still on the car. Since the car (even with Jay in it) is way heavy I want to remove the anti-lock system. Someone said there is a kit or something that makes it easy to remove. Any ideas? A link? Other weight savings ideas for a iron block 2002 Stang?

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Re: removing antilock brakes

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt
    My new car has the fuse pulled but all the anti-lock crap is still on the car. Since the car (even with Jay in it) is way heavy I want to remove the anti-lock system. Someone said there is a kit or something that makes it easy to remove. Any ideas? A link? Other weight savings ideas for a iron block 2002 Stang?

JJ
    PM Gunter. There is a small aluminum block that replaces the pump and bolts right in...takes 20 minutes and a bleed...done. Think it was $75...
    Ah, fugg it.

Kit? Randy just bought a distribution block that goes in place of the OEM abs hardware for his LS1, so I'm sure the same thing exists for the mustang. You can do it for less money but more work by making your own lines under the hood and splicing into the factory hard lines going towards the corners.

Wilwood now has a bias adjuster knob that can move the valve remotely so you no longer have to put the valve itself within your reach, just the adjustment knob and route the cable. This means not having to make the hard line all the way to the back which might be a nice option.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97

JJ
    PM Gunter. There is a small aluminum block that replaces the pump and bolts right in...takes 20 minutes and a bleed...done. Think it was $75...
    That is what I was looking for.

THANKS!

JJ

You will need to know if you car had traction control or not when it was new. It makes a difference on the block as it will have one or two rear brake line outputs.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Seems to be as good a thread as any to ask my question.

Since I am definitely in the "move from TT to CMC" mode, (hey that rhymes!) I am thinking of pulling the fuse for a track day at TWS next weekend.

Any suggestions on learning to drive without antilock brakes without ruining a set of tires in the first session?
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonNW
    Seems to be as good a thread as any to ask my question.

Since I am definitely in the "move from TT to CMC" mode, (hey that rhymes!) I am thinking of pulling the fuse for a track day at TWS next weekend.

Any suggestions on learning to drive without antilock brakes without ruining a set of tires in the first session?
    Brake early... but be sure and give a pointby before getting to the braking zone... :twisted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist... I'm not the one to ask... got a whole stack of square tires in the shop...

See you at TWS.. 8) Misty must have registered me yesterday... :shock: Got my email confirmation.. :roll:

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27
    Brake early... but be sure and give a pointby before getting to the braking zone... :twisted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist... I'm not the one to ask... got a whole stack of square tires in the shop...

See you at TWS.. 8) Misty must have registered me yesterday... :shock: Got my email confirmation.. :roll:
    Pointby? It's my first time in the white group, don't they roll like the CMC'ers? You better have your front wheel at my door or I'm going to turn in! :lol:

But seriously, regarding the braking early, it was interesting that when Rob Liebbe rode with me in the wet during the CMC Rookie day he kept telling me to brake earlier, probably forgetting that my car still had antilock brakes. Well, at least that's what I like to think was the reason, complete lack of talent is not something that I've considered. :? So maybe that is the best piece of advice that I could get from both of you.
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonNW
    Pointby? It's my first time in the white group, don't they roll like the CMC'ers? You better have your front wheel at my door or I'm going to turn in! :lol:
    White?? Interesting..... Guess I'll bring my car.... and PLAY in the white group.... I was just going to instruct and leave the car at home....

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97

JJ
    That is what I was looking for.

THANKS!

JJ
    I, with the help of the LAW, installed the alum block and the bias valve with a remote into the cockpit.

For the brake system ...

http://www.burkhartchassis.com/id84.html

You will need the ABS delete block with lines AND replacement steel braided lines at the wheels and diff.
    Make sure you tell them you have a Traction Control car. Reiterate how many rubber brake lines you have
    that go from the diff to the car mounted hard lines. These at close to the center of the diff, next to the torque
    arm.

That would be the block off plate and lines and a total of six steel braided lines for the car. I am assuming you haven't
    replaced the stock rubber brake lines.