Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T5 info

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar

T5 info

I found a working low miles t5 off an 89 mustang 2.3 for $50. I know that the t5 on the 4 banger has a slightly lower torque rating. Do any of you t5 guys know what the major difference is. I am thinking of using a t5 and 289 in the 325 lemon car. FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Re: T5 info

Quote Originally Posted by cobra132
    I found a working low miles t5 off an 89 mustang 2.3 for $50. I know that the t5 on the 4 banger has a slightly lower torque rating. Do any of you t5 guys know what the major difference is. I am thinking of using a t5 and 289 in the 325 lemon car. FMR
    BUY IT... I have two spares that I will bring to lemons... keep with the LeMon tradition and install the cheapest crap you can find... I will test it on my Mustang first if you want... If I trash it, I'll pay you for it and let you use one of mine...

I have 3 Ford T-5s... Two on the floor of my shop and one sitting in an 89 Thunderbird SC...

BUY IT DAMN IT...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I want to say the input shaft on the 4-cyl version is alot different. Been a while since I've played with Moosetanks though
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Frank, I have a 4 cyl. T5 I got when putting together my car 5 years ago. I have no clue if it works or its condition but you are welcome to it if you would like.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Subject: T5 rebuilds... I purcased 2 "rebuilt" T5s in the last 8 months... When I blew up the one in the car I bought on at ECR... that lasted 4 months with only 6 1/2 track days. The snap ring holding 5th gear came off. Sopme may say "no problem, simple fix", however, IT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN, if the snap ring was not installed correctly. Also, the speedo gear was not clipped on and was "floating" up and down the shaft. The clip was nowhere to be found

The second transmission was not rebuilt correctly either, which I didn't find till after I swapped 5th gear over from the 1st transmission. I then had to spend the day completely tearing it down and rebuilding it... OH, and the RR 5th gear requires special steps that are different for the factory build.

SO... I spent $1400 on 2 transmissions that I had to rebuild myself. Guess we will see how my rebuilding skills hold up... I suspect there will be problems with this one and I will learn as I go...

who did your rebuilds if I can ask? - PM might be best
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    The input shaft diameter at the pilot bearing is smaller on the 4cyl T-5. Additionally, the gear ratios are a bit different (3.97 1st gear versus 3.35 and 2.34 vs 1.99 2nd gearfor the 8cyl box).
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

I've stumbled on this little chart whilst searching for a LeMons transmission.
    http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml
    Though I disagree about the 'too low to be useful' comment on first gear. Since when are smoky burnouts not useful?
    Jared
    HPDE goon, '12 rookie?

gotta get enough wheelspeed going to really make alot of smoke though

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod
    Since when are smoky burnouts not useful?
    Yep, fits right in.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!