Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axle Flange Failure

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar

Axle Flange Failure

Here is an ineresting failure mode for an axle that I found while rebuilding my traction-slop today. I'm not sure how I even noticed it since it's mostly hidden under the ABS exciter ring (removed for the picture).

A closer examination shows that the crack is a full 360 degrees around the axle and extends all the way through to the front face. The axle flange has actually rotated a small amount and is apparently fully separated from the axle shaft.

I have no idea how long this failure has been working or how long before complete failure would have happened. My guess is that catistropic failure wasn't too far away and I (or Chris) dodged a big bullet. The other axle, with the same amount of time on it, shows no sign of any issue.

Just something for people to keep in mind when they are inspecting their cars.

Richard Pedersen
    #91 LX 5.0
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great catach RP!
    John G.
    www.chicane23store.com
    http://www.chicane23.com/chicane23/i...ane23_ban1.gif

Maximum Motorsports, Griggs Racing, G-Stream Wings, Brembo, Canton, Fuel Safe, Toyo Tires, Hoosier, Koni, StopTechPit Pal, etc.
    2004 & 2005 American Iron series Champion

Another picture

I got a picture of the other side to turn out. This side was a lot harder to see. I had to clean it up a bunch before it would show up in a photo.

Richard Pedersen
    #91 LX 5.0

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Factory axles?

Good thing I just inspected mine...
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Factory axles?

Good thing I just inspected mine...
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Scary stuff RP. Thanks for taking the time to share. That alternate view shows that it takes a keen eye looking for detail to avert a potential disaster. Glad you caught it in time.

Senior Member Rookie
    Yes once again Richard has proven he is one step ahead of me. He also had the good grace not to dwell on the fact that it was the driver's side :wink:
    Chris Marvel

RP's Guinea Pig
    AI #91
    CMC2 #82
    Anything else you hand me the keys to...

Update

I thought I'd update this post since I finally got around to cutting apart the flange of my failed axle. The flange had fully separated. When I cut the flange apart, it easily fell off of the axle. The shape of the fracture was the only thing holding the flange on.

Very scary stuff. Be safe out there...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Wow! I will be looking at my axles again before the next event, and adding that inspection to my check list.

DD

We had a similar find on a CMC 3rd gen not that long ago on the west coast. This is definitely something to inspect for. You might want to consider the $35 or so it takes to get some dye penetrant / developer to make the inspection easier.
    Al Fernandez