Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety equipment purchases (choices)

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Safety equipment purchases (choices)

I spent a lot of the Mrs. HoustonNW approved race budget on the race car.

So I need a helmet, suit, HANS, and gloves before TWS.

Here is what I am thinking:

Sport Series HANS - no reason to spend $400 to save 1 lb. if I'm sitting down anyway, right?

Simpson Super Sport Standard Suit - double layer so a compromise between comfort and cost? I'm thinking that Simpson is a no-brainer choice, although this Sparco 3-layer just caught my eye.

Simpson PosiGrip Racing Gloves - I figure this is a learning experience, I buy inexpensive this time and know better next time?

Bell BR-1 Helmet - my Bell open face is legal for CMC but I don't think that I'll push the issue. Is this an inexpensive helmet for an inexpensive head? (I like that it is pre-drilled for the HANS clips.)

Since both of the suits above are SFI/5, I don't need Nomex underwear. I have shoes and Nomex socks.

Please reply with comments on the choices above, I can spend a little more if my choice is a mistake.

Assuming that I bring my typical Time Trial tools and spares, what else am I forgetting?

Thanks in advance.
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Impact?
    I'm just saying there are some really good deals right now.

I love my Sparco. I got an "entry" level Sparco suit at first ($500) and later upgraded to an X-Light. Worth every penny. Myself, Mitch, Rob, and Nick Runyon (raced w/ us a couple years back - will be again this year) all upgraded after an entry level suit. None of them regret it, even more so in August at TWS. Spend good money on a suit, all else will be replaced more frequently, so its not a major issue if you dont like it (shoes, gloves).

As for the HANS... look into the Defender. I've looked at one and wouldnt mind selling my HANS to get one of those. Lots of adjustability the HANS doesnt have.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Even if your suit is SFI-5, I would still recommend Nomex/Carbon-X. I just have always worried about getting stuck in a burning car. I have the Bell Apex GP (top of the Bell line) and wear the Bell version of Carbon-X.

I would recommend sending in a sponsorship package to Bell. Michael and I both did and have their "Pro-Level" package. It used to be 50% off retail, but has been reduced to 35% off retail.

I got suit, gloves, shoes, socks, carbon-X, helmet all at the same time.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Gloves -
    Leather style palms get really stiff between races, even after a generous rinse after a race weekend. They rip if you aren't careful.

Suit -
    It doesn't have to be 100* ambient at TWS to be freaking hot in a race car. It's a tough check to write, but spend the money here once. Like Glenn said, the ambulance ride to the ER is a LOT more expensive than the suit. Ask Nick.

Helmet -
    Lightweight saves neck muscles. If you can. find a loaner or buy used for cheap and wait 6-8 months. The SA 2010s will be out. But if you are shopping now, use the SA2010 as a bargaining tool to get a discount.

This stuff is probably the single most expensive purchase you'll make. In some cases, it's more than the cost of the car. Ask Rob.

You can buy cheap and be legal. But you'll be buying twice in a short while.

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    I second the defender, just got mine in the mail today and got it all mounted and I'm very pleased with it. It comes standard with all the features you would have to pay extra for with the HANS, plus the angle is adjustable. 8)

As for the suit, I skipped the entry level and went straight to a one layer Alpinestar as well as shoes and gloves. It's a little pricey but I had deployment $$$ I set aside for it (worth every penny IMO).

If you have a helmet that is legal now and can hold off until October, the SA2010 helmets will be available then. If not, you can do what I did and haggle for a discount on a SA2005 since they will still be legal for a while.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Thanks for the replies. I knew that when I posted this it would cost me money, even though it is good advice!

A couple more questions:

1. What is the relationship between driving suit cost and comfort? Is it that the 3-piece suits are lighter and are more comfortable in the heat?

Or is it not so much 3-piece, but simply that more expensive suits are more comfortable in the heat?

2. I just realized that my Bell open face helmet is actually M2000, so I cannot use it. (Although the CCR does allow open face helmets with eye protection, full face is only required in open cars.)

This SA10 timing really sucks. What should I put on my Bell application to get that discount?

3. I've researched the head restraints but am in a budget mode. If anyone has a HANS in Model 20, size medium for sale, please let me know.

Actually Mrs. HoustonNW has been extremely cooperative. In fact, she suggested buying a trailer rather than spending $400 to rent a U-Haul for two weekends in April. (Gotta get some cheatin' bastard practice in the car for next year at the Driver's Edge event at MSRH! :twisted: )

Thanks in advance again.
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

While we're on the subject, are external seam gloves really all that? I want some to replace my junk Pyrotects for Lemons, but I worry that I'm succumbing to the bling factor of $130 gloves.
    Jared
    HPDE goon, '12 rookie?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    not all that.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod
    While we're on the subject, are external seam gloves really all that? I want some to replace my junk Pyrotects for Lemons, but I worry that I'm succumbing to the bling factor of $130 gloves.
    They are fantastic for feel especially for 3+ hour stints....however, the material sparco uses must be cared for properly or they don't last.

I love my Alpinestars external stitched gloves.
    I love my CarbonX stuff - comfy AND there's a reason the nitro drag racers use it yaknow

Here's where I'd go if I was researching Head & Neck restraints:
    http://www.racesafetydata.info/

I love my R3, but if I was doing it again I'd probably have a Hutchens Hybrid of some sort. I'm not the biggest fan of depending on an interference fit of the device between my body and the belts plus I liked their lateral and angular impact numbers so that is what has me picking them over HANS, DeFender, etc.

What H&N works best for you kinda depends on your seat and net setup as well. If you've got one of those nice head support seats with nets very very close and tight on both sides then the angular and lateral impact numbers aren't nearly as important to consider.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"