Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin's F1 track...

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Austin's F1 track...

Anyone down in Austin see signs of any progress? Lots of contruction trucks (concrete, gravel, etc...) driving around would be a good clue.

this just appeared on Corner Carvers:

A coworker of mine flew down to San Antonio this past weekend with his wife and saw something interesting on the way back north. He said that somewhere to the west of Austin was a giant development, clearly a motorsports road course, under construction but very far along. Along with the track itself there was a giant concrete apron poured, but no construction on it yet. I'm bugging him to tell me exactly where he saw it, but he said he was more concerned with dodging the giant thunderstorms popping up all around him then noting exactly where he was. All he can say for sure is west or northwest of Austin. He said he's going to go back to the plane this weekend and pull the data from his GPS to get a better idea.
    The location's wrong, but Helmund might be blowing a lot of smoke to hide the actual location of the track. I don't think a pilot would be getting his compass orientation wrong.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Senior Member Rookie
    There is a new facility under construction in the Austin area. I believe that is the new DPS Tactical Training Center under construction now in west Williamson county.

I hope this new F1 tracks does get built, but don't hold your breath yet.

Chuck
    CMC#14

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    News conference today. Location supposedly disclosed.

JB

Senior Member Rookie
    After thinking this had no shot of working, things are looking up.

Claim is the money is Red McCombs. He has the money if that is real.

Build it!!!

On the google map, the lake in the center is in the center of the track.

Chuck
    CMC#14

AUSTIN (KXAN) - KXAN is first to learn businessman Billy Joe “Red” McCombs is the principal investor in the new Formula 1 track to be built in Austin. Sources close to the project confirmed that news Tuesday.

The founder of the Red McCombs Automotive Groups and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications was set to join the man responsible for bringing the track to Austin, Tavo Hellmund, and various Formula 1 officials Tuesday morning at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center at the University of Texas.

The center is part of McCombs’ UT namesake, the McCombs School of Business. In addition to making Forbes magazine’s top 400 richest Americans in 2005, he was also a former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets, and the Minnesota Vikings.

The group plans to announce the exact site of the track, thought to be in the general area just to the east of the Austin-Bergstom International Airport near Elroy and McAngus Roads , north of FM 812 and east of State Highway 130.

The Grand Prix event will be held in Austin between 2012 and 2021. During that time, the event is expected to rake in anywhere from 90-200,000 people each year.

That could mean an economic impact somewhere between $200-400 million. On the low end alone, that's about the same amount brought in by the Austin City Limits Festival and all the University of Texas football home games for an entire season.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/sports/mccom...-site-revealed

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...&z=14&lci=bike

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I signed up to receive information from Richard's link.

I sure would like to attend the first race there.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    When asked how he hoped the return would be, McCombs said "I hope it will be immense."

Nice.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    More of the same info here, but the photo shows the size / shape of the plot of land.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...site-for-race/

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great place for NASA Nationals.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt
    Great place for NASA Nationals.

JJ
    Absolutely! (Regular NASA races too!) Contractually, how long will be be at Miller, and is NASA obligated to rteturn to MidOhio afterwards? I'd love to see the Nats rotate between the three locations.
    -- Robert King
    AI #42