Thread: EGR removal

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

EGR removal

I want to get rid of the EGR system on my race car. I deleted it on my 5.0 without issue (other than the CEL). I read that the computer on the 4.6 will make the car run like Shit if I do the same to it. Anyone know why I should not be able to make a block off plate (I think I know where I can have one made) and plug the vacuum lines?

Jerry

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    I haven't bothered with it on mine since it all gets turned off at WOT anyway.
    I have thought about removing it just to lose more weight though. I may try it out and if it does run like crap, see if the problem can be fixed with some tuning.

If I do I'll let you know how it goes.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    I took the egr off and pluged all the holes and had no issues other than the check engine light coming on. My tuner then turned the egr off on the computer. The weight savings was significant. FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We can't use the tuner to turn mine off but I do think I will remove it. The check engine light has been on since I bought the car. Everytime I turn the battery disconnect off it is gone for a little while but it comes right back on. As long as you guys did not have issues running with it gone I'm going to try it.

Jerry