Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CMC 2 3rd gen

Member Rookie

CMC 2 3rd gen

Anyone in TX running or building a cmc 2 3rd gen.

Been cruising craigslist for the next race car and have been finding a few cheap 3rd gens. Still have not decided on Mustang or Camaro.

kyle
    1984 mustang. getting back into CMC.
    Looking for another Fox Saleen

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Gary Roberston is going to convert his to an LT1, and I *think* Wirtz is headed that way ~ neither runs 2 now.

Bob Denton ran really strong in 2 at Hallett in his carbed third gen.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Member Rookie
    I was thinking carbed 305.

Is all of this add on airdams and big arse wings I see on the 2 cars really worth it?

Comparing prices on brakes and other parts between the two platforms before I make a decision.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K Shaw
    Is all of this add on airdams and big arse wings I see on the 2 cars really worth it?
    No, I don't think it is. Mosty took his wing off and uses a small trunk edge spoiler.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    Yeah, my plan is to convert my CMC car to the Deuce for next year.

I'm planning on using an LT1 engine and T5 to begin with. I think Gary R is also looking at an LT1.

And I think Gary Hood is looking at a carbed setup for him 3rd gen, though I can't remember if it was the 305 or the 350 he was looking at...

I think the 3rd gen should still be competitive with the proper work. So as you say the low entry cost on a chassis might be a good thing. Just remember that it also means alot of other parts will need to be refreshed / replaced if you want to get peak performance.

Wings and spoilers? I'm not a fan. I'm running the smallest RS spoiler on my car and I think it works ok. You will get more bang for your buck by getting the engine on the power limits and getting the suspension dialed in to where you like it. Just my opinion.

Jeff

Bob and Sidney both run carbed 305's and I run a carbed 350.

Bob makes right at 260 300 and so do I. Sidney's set-up is slightly different and dynoed 25?/28?.

We also have an LT1 in a third gen in our region as well.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracerwhite
    We also have an LT1 in a third gen in our region as well.
    I never saw a follow-up. How did that car turn out?

Member Rookie
    I have more seat time in the F-bod and more wrench time on the Mustang.

Pretty sure I want to go back to the F-bod.

For some reason the F-body just fits me and my lack of driving ability better than the fox chassis mustangs.

I also need to find another truck. Something mid 80s to early 90s I think.

Should have the family moved down here by the end of the month and then I can get started.

Looks like we will be in Georgetown. currenly crashing at my buds place in Roundrock.

If anyone wants to BS over a few beers let me know. I will supply a few PBRs.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    I too hope to be dropping in an LT1 that I have aquired into my third gen and make the jump to CMC2. Hope to keep the T5 behind it as well. All else (16" wheels, 1LE brakes, rear lip spoiler) will stay as they are, CMC compliant. I've got plenty of other wish list items (like an alum driveshaft) to buy before bigger wheels and brakes.

I think Nick V is looking to make the jump to -2 this offseason too. He's going the 305 TPI route.

For the wings, if I'm not mistaken, the only non-AI car in Texas that has an airfoil type wing is Boudy's Fox. The Jordan's have the only other thing I'd call a wing but even at that it's still the factory-ish cobra R wing (maybe they took it off tho).

OT: Brian, do you know if Bob or Sidney had to do anything with clearancing the 305 block to work with the 350 head? With that setup, don't the valves come really close to the cylinder wall? With a thin or steel head gasket, wouldn't the problem be magnified?
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    If you can't use a splitter, there's really no sense in having a fully functional wing. They need to work together (that's what Michael told me anyway :wink: ).
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT