Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new helmet. Tell me what you have, like, dislike.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Need a new helmet. Tell me what you have, like, dislike.

I have only ever had 1 SA rated helmet, and it is the one that I've had for over 10 years. I waited for the SA-2000's to be released (1999) and got a Simpson. I have been very pleased w/ how it has held up durring the insane use it has seen in those 10 years. I'm looking at replacing it w/ a Simpson Voyager. My old helmet had no face shield provisions (originaly got it for auto-x use), so the new one must have a shield.
    Since I've not had to deal w/ shields w/ this helmet, I do not know what to lookout for w/ helmets that do. Are any universal? By that I mean, does Simpson helemts only accept Simpson shields? Bell only Bell shields, so on and so on?
    HANS ready? I would figure most would come pre-drilled now for HANS anchors. Is that what you guys are finding?
    If you havea brand you do not like, I would like to know and know why. Have you used more than one brand? If so, which did you like better? The old saying "What's your head worth?" comes to mind. Money = mo betta?

Feedback please.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    i want to say mine is a Simpson as well and I usually run with the face shield up since I wear glasses anyway and we're not open cockpit.

Need Team Mosty to chime in on the Bells.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    I had a Simpson M3 or something like that that was in my gear bag that was stolen.

I replaced it with the Impact I got at the auction at Cresson. PST donated it to help raise money for the school's restoration.

The Simpson fit really well, but the Impact felt really tight across the temples. So, I peeled back the padding and shaved the liner a small amount for a better fit.

I have a Simpson open face that I use while instructing. And it fits really nice as well.

The most comfortable helmet I own is my Shoei MC helmet. It's like wearing a ball cap.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    I started running out of money finishing the car and getting all my gear before ECR and bought the cheapest SA helmet I could find - GForce something or other for ~$250. Surprisingly, I LOVE it! Fits perfect, comes pre-drilled for HANS, has tear off posts & a "sun strip" on the visor, removable / washable padding, and noticeably lighter than the mid-range HJC it replaced. I would've had to spend at least $100 more to get all this from a higher end brand. I used to ride sport bikes and have owned several helmets over the years - Arai, Shoei, HJC, and a couple others I've forgotten. Always switched brands for one reason or another - this is the first one I'd buy again.
    My only complaint with the GForce is the strap adjuster didn't have the tab I'm used to for separating the D-rings when threading the strap. 1 piece of tape & 5 seconds later it became my favorite helmet
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    I ride with the Bell BR-1. It fits great and is comfortable. almost all helmets that I have seen come with Hans pre-drilled holes. I also put on a tinted shield, which is helps with the sun glare.

I just bought a pyrotect pro airflow. SA2010, removeable liner, and its very light. Pyrotect is owned by Bell, their low cost line. Its much more comfortable than my old Simpson was.

Different helmets have different size and curvature to their shields so they are certainly not universal. They arent difficult to find though.

Soloracer has a pretty decent guide at http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I am really partial to Bell helmets. I started using Bell helmets as a young teenager racing motocross and I have just continued to use them.

I just ordered a replacement one yesterday.

Saferacer has a black friday deal... 15% off with this code. BF152010

15% Off Early Shopping Savings
    Charlie asked "Why wait until Black Friday to start saving? Let's start it up right now!" 15% discount starts now, ends on Sunday and is limited to the first 100 people who use the following code at checkout, BF152010. Better Hurry, these will go quickly!!! Due to manufacturer restrictions, Hans devices and a handful of other items are excluded.

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    I've got a Bell K1 Sport and although it only has 4 days on track to its credit so far it is extremely comfortable and it was reasonably priced. I tried on Simpson and Impact helmets when buying as well. The K1 Sport is pre drilled for HANS device.

Just try on as many different types that you believe you are interested in. Most manufacturers helmets fit differently and you will never know until you try it on.
    AJ Petersen
    Shock Technician
    STACK Technical Agent

Performance Speed Tech
    817-512-4780
    Keeping You On Track!
    www.performancespeedtech.com

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    Swing into the Simson plant in New Braunfels. They will measure your head and set you up. Its just off 35. FMR