Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Performance Friction Brake Systems - AI/CMC2

Performance Friction Brake Systems - AI/CMC2

At PRI tomorrow PFC will be approaching me about race brake kits for the CMC2 and AI class cars. I have negotiated a $250 PFC part credit contingency for podium finishes. PFC will be sending engineers to PST to measure vehicles for the kits. They will be interested in 4th and 3rd gen camaros as well as Fox and SN95 Mustangs. They already have information on the S197 Mustang. The kits will retail at highest $2795/axle. Actuall kit retails are currently being negotiated depending on details. It will be a complete race kit in assembly. The individual CMC2 caliper cost will be $495 (PFC Zr34 Caliper). That is well under the CMC2 price limit. The rotor size will be determined by class and customer desire. The 34 caliper is a 4-Piston, 2-Pad, Monobloc design. The AI kit will be using the Zr45 caliper. The Zr44 is a caliper that was originally designed for use in the Grand-Am challenge series (Koni, Continental, etc). It is a forged monobloc that is cut and bolted together per regulations from that series. This caliper will allow for the 355mm rotors that are desired in the AI class cars. Please let me know your thoughts as I will be discussing this tomorrow and Friday with PFC. This has been a couple years in the making and now PFC is ready to deal and go! PST is the largest PFC distributor in Texas and can beat many of the prices available through other dealers. We are a tier 1 distributor.
    AJ Petersen
    Shock Technician
    STACK Technical Agent

Performance Speed Tech
    817-512-4780
    Keeping You On Track!
    www.performancespeedtech.com

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar

brakes

Looks great, keep us posted...
    AI # 12

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can use my car for a 4th gen template.

Email sent.

SO PFC is all in on this deal. I have the details for CMC2 that will run $2295/axle for a true race brake system. This is a monobloc, 4-piston, insulated piston, non dust-booted caliper. The rotors are 323mm x 32mm. These are the same heavy duty rotors used in Sprint Cup. The pads will be available from PFC in three different compounds for $152.78 retail on replacement costs. This system will be optimized for brake release and low drag. The release will be utilized for better balance entering the corner to give you the confidence to go deeper than the next guy. Low drag will aid with the horsepower and brake cooling efficiency.
    AJ Petersen
    Shock Technician
    STACK Technical Agent

Performance Speed Tech
    817-512-4780
    Keeping You On Track!
    www.performancespeedtech.com

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't really want to spend the money on a big brake kit but I did have a lot of rotor trouble last year (breaking). I talked to AJ and he did not get any interest in this kit at all (well one guy wanted a free set but who doesn't). AJ had a great contingency program set-up but NASA said no way since they are in bed with Hawk. Anyone considering this set-up?

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Not me.

I'm very disappointed that a class where you can field a car for $5K now needs $3K in brakes to be "competitive".

It's stupid and short-sighted.

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    Not me.

I'm very disappointed that a class where you can field a car for $5K now needs $3K in brakes to be "competitive".

I sort of agree with Mitch. I can lock up my tires now with stock LS1 brake calipers. My pads and rotors don't have any issues with abnormal wear and don't fade during 30 or 45 minute races. Pad cost is less with non-OEM calipers but doesn't pencil if I have to spend $2000 to get pads that are $50 less expensive.

Sidney
    CMC2 #64
    Midwest Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would love to have this kit. I built a new car instead.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not me.

You are right Mitch.

I agree these brakes should have never been allowed in CMC but the door has been opened and just like government giveaways they will not go away. I was only thinking I could get out of the rotor breaking issue I'm having if I went to a two piece rotor set-up (in one day at Hallett and two days at ECR I have broken three rotors). Just talked to Todd at TCE and he said he could not promise me even double the life of my stock rotors if I bought his aluminum hats and Coleman rotor rings. Just the rotors (rings) are $139.00 each! I'm just not ready to spend $2000.00 for brakes on a car that is not worth 7 or 8 grand. I do catch myself thinking the old I gotta have them since others have them thoughts.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Not me.

Which is why this should have never been allowed in the first place.