Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roll Bar padding

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar

Roll Bar padding

Quote Originally Posted by CCr 2006.5
    15.6.4 Padding
    All roll cage surfaces that may come in contact with the driver shall be padded with
    high-density padding such as Ethafoam or Ensolite. It is recommended that padding
    meeting SFI specification 45.1 be used.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCr 2008.12
    15.6.4 Padding
    All roll cage surfaces that may come in contact with the driver should be padded with
    high-density padding such as Ethafoam or Ensolite. It is recommended that padding
    Quote Originally Posted by CCR 2011.3
    15.6.4 Padding
    All roll cage surfaces that may come in contact with the driver should be padded with
    What changed? I don't see where this says we need to use that hard padding now.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It never did. I've always had the cheap stuff in my car.

SFI 45.1 is optional...so you can use any high density foam....I prefer to use SFI rated ...I tested burn on three types if cheaper padding ranging from $4-$17 and none of it made me comfortable.
    The $5 stuff I tried probably would not be considered high density anyway...but the $12 and $17 stuff was.

That's what I thought.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I'm pretty sure Al said that I needed to replace mine with the hard stuff when he was doing the annual tech due to a change in the CCR.

I have the hard stuff around my head, and the regular stuff on my door bars. I knew I would have to replace the door bar padding due to the worn out condition of the foam. Maybe he was just saying to replace it with new padding.

I'll check my logbook and wait for Al to chime in.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    That hard stuff is so hard that you could probably still break bones on it. I'm thinking of covering mine with something softer to make a better cushion than it is....

...like maybe steel...
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Good research on the padding rules Gary. It does not seem that the rule has changed, only the interpretation or enforcement.

Looking on the Jeg's website, there is a huge gap in pricing.

http://www.jegs.com/c/Safety_Roll-Ba...10505/10002/-1

There is low-density offset center at about $4 per stick, high density from about $9 to $12 per stick (!!!), and high density SFI rated at from $25 to $30 (!!!!!!!!!!!) per stick. This is across multiple brands.

We need a clarification from management as to what has changed or hasn't changed. This has the potential for a huge investment for a whole vehicle upgrade.

Stay tuned.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

I think part of the confusion comes with the definition of high density padding.

Looking at this...
    http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/Moroso-...37112/10002/-1
    It lists the softer of the padding types as high density. Even the chearp $4 one Rob pointed out is labeled as high density (not low density like Rob said). A more clear definition should be high-density and higher-density.

Spec 45.1 came out Aug 11, 2005. I'd be curious to see what teh 2005 CCR stated. My bet is it called for High Density as well.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Gary is on the ball today. I assumed, as maybe others did as well, that the inexpensive padding is low density when in fact it is not.

If it was put to me as a racer, I would purchase the low dollar Jeg's offset high density padding. If anyone challenges it, I would show the webpage below and ask for an explanation of why this high density pad does not meet the rule.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...70001/10002/-1

From the webpage - "Special closed cell foam does not absorb moisture, but does progressively absorb shock. This flame retardant, high density padding features a offset hole that provides added protection and comfort for the driver. 36-inch lengths with 1-5/8" I.D., Will fit 1" (with some trimming) to 1-3/4" tube. Not SFI approved. Made in USA."
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Excellent research Gary. I will get clarification.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Regarding "hard" padding, in a crash, the hard stuff will do MUCH better than soft stuff. The reference to Ensolite is VERY accurate, as it follows what the FAA mandates for delethalizing hard structures in the "head strike" zone during a 16G crash analysis...

Anyhoo, just my .02
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...