Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Change in Texas AI/CMC leadership

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    This has nothing to do with NASA TX or the participants here.

Strictly National, fixing the issue, and not have the class implode like A-Sedan. The changes need to come now, not two years from now after people have bailed out. This is moving in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Calder is the only one that "might", but don't believe he does...
    Wouldn't know what to do with it if I did...I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten into the stock ABS I have

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    This has nothing to do with NASA TX or the participants here.

Strictly National, fixing the issue, and not have the class implode like A-Sedan. The changes need to come now, not two years from now after people have bailed out. This is moving in the wrong direction.
    Mike...You willing to remove your ABS? (yes or no)
    American Iron Series - National Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini View Post
    Mike...You willing to remove your ABS? (yes or no)
    It is the only answer for a system that you can't police and where there is a huge disparity in performance in the systems that come from the OEM. Add to it, that some systems are able to be re-programed and none of the GM units can be and it is a no brain'er.

I think a lower level AI class is the answer (think budget minded). 8:1 HP/TQ, 13" brakes, 17" wheels (wheels w/ a 18lb minimum) and no ABS. This alone will remove 90% of the drama. Allow those folks who want to keep ABS, 18" wheels and 14" brakes to run in AI Bling.
    Guys will surely be upset about removing the ABS. The guys that will be the most upset will be those who know their system has a leg up on everyone elses. But for the most part, guys will be happier to get back to an even playing field.

The other option is to add like 200lbs to car w/ ABS. It will be voluntarily removed then.

If removing my ABS is part of the resolution, then I'll remove it. Sure, I'd prefer to keep it, but there is no option from GM that is remotely close to the Ford system. A Bosch 10.4 is out of the question for 95% of the competition.

Adding weight to ANY ABS equipped car is bs. Selectively adding weight to the Ford Racing ABS cars maybe an option but isn't necessarily a long term resolution. (See example below)

We have multiple issues in the class, and a variety of things need to be done. The Ford Racing ABS is my biggest issue.

Two classes aren't going to fix car counts. Although I think the concept of AI2 is cool, I generally agree that it helps no one for contingency/car count.

The concept of the class is to showcase aftermarket parts. Continual restrictions to the cars don't help, and there sure isn't a lot being showcased right now. Not much to showcase from GM in the first place.

The solution may come along the lines of an ST/TT-styled points system.

Example:
    Say baseline is 8.0:1 hp/tq:weight. No ABS baseline, Factory ABS add +0.1, Ford Racing ABS add +0.5, Bosch Racing ABS add ??. Use the weight tables, use whatever system. I really can't see adding 200 pounds to Dean's car that already weighs 3650, and at 9.5:1 his car can't be choked down any more. Everybody can make more horsepower, but everybody can't have a wicked ABS system.

I could care less if the Grand Am/WCGTS cars are eligible or not, but Ford Grand Am/WCGTS cars can't come and play because they sure won't rip out the ABS for the weekend. Chevy Grand Am/WCGTS cars are illegal per the rules due to the rear suspension.

Many topics should be visited along these lines. Find the AI2 thread and have a good read on some of the items.

More to discuss later. I'm always available for a call.
    Last edited by MikeP99Z; 04-23-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Mike...you beat 50% of the AI cars running the "evil Ford Racing ABS" at Nationals. Is this about one man...or one machine?

Guess I have to buy a new Ford.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    My guess is not one man or one machine but one platform. :^)
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

wooohoooo, no ABS for AI!!!

oh, and congrats Marshall
    Al Fernandez

Stay out of this cake eater