Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWS Media thread

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

NOT TWS Media thread

This is the "warm-up" lap for Race 1 ...

http://lawmotorsports.net/vids/TWS/Apr11/TheOutLap.wmv
    Last edited by mitchntx; 05-03-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Hood's Avatar
    What was the rattling noise? Sounds like the driveshaft hitting the safety loop...
    Gary Hood
    CMC #20
    OH WOW! Racing

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    sorry guys, I'll take some blame for this one... In the process of turning on my camera, a friend opened my passenger door then couldn't get it closed (it's finicky). Steve was giving me (and my friend) time to get the door secured, those extra seconds caused a pretty good gap. *facepalm* Those seconds plus a fast paced out-lap caused a 9/10ths out lap for alot of you guys. My bad.

losing 11 spots on grid sucks by the way.
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I hope to get my camera situation fixed. Dave downloaded my videos from Saturday but for some reason the Sunday videos won't open. The videos show on the SD card and the full size is there but I get error messages that they can't open. I'm going to get Jeremy to look at it in a day or two since I am technology challenged.
    I'm going to be majorly bummed if the videos don't come out. R3 was some of the most fun I have ever had racing and R4 had by far my best invert start ever!! (fingers crossed for footage)
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumpacker View Post
    sorry guys, I'll take some blame for this one... In the process of turning on my camera, a friend opened my passenger door then couldn't get it closed (it's finicky). Steve was giving me (and my friend) time to get the door secured, those extra seconds caused a pretty good gap. *facepalm* Those seconds plus a fast paced out-lap caused a 9/10ths out lap for alot of you guys. My bad.

losing 11 spots on grid sucks by the way.
    That had way less to do with your issue than the speed carried on the outlap by the lead car. What if we hadn't lost all the cars to mechanicals and had an extra 6-8 cars in the field. It wouldn't have been any different. I know in the past we have talked about having a quicker out lap to get more green flag time. But for the first 3 races I didn't think there was a chance that we would get bunched up in time to get the green. And I still don't understand why the lead car, Marshal, (sorry but you are director now and I get to call you out now) increases their RPM's any at all after they get on the front stretch. If you want to be in 2nd gear at the perfect RPM for you motor for the start and that is 3500 then that is the rpm that you should slow down to and maintain. At Cresson I was on the front row of an invert and noticed the same thing but with an even greater increase in speed once we got on the back straight to get the green flag that continued to increase the farther we went before getting the green. It really screws up the guys all the way in the back.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

I was in 4th gear before the end of the pit wall and at 5K in fourth on the back straight ... LOL

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    That had way less to do with your issue than the speed carried on the outlap by the lead car. What if we hadn't lost all the cars to mechanicals and had an extra 6-8 cars in the field. It wouldn't have been any different. I know in the past we have talked about having a quicker out lap to get more green flag time. But for the first 3 races I didn't think there was a chance that we would get bunched up in time to get the green. And I still don't understand why the lead car, Marshal, (sorry but you are director now and I get to call you out now) increases their RPM's any at all after they get on the front stretch. If you want to be in 2nd gear at the perfect RPM for you motor for the start and that is 3500 then that is the rpm that you should slow down to and maintain. At Cresson I was on the front row of an invert and noticed the same thing but with an even greater increase in speed once we got on the back straight to get the green flag that continued to increase the farther we went before getting the green. It really screws up the guys all the way in the back.
    So I'm damned if I do, damed if I don't.... At MSR-C, the lead AI car (not me) who went too slow got chastised for not getting it right and taking too long from boot hill to the green... I tried to pick up the pace for a 2.9 mile outlap to give us more green flag racing instead of having a 5 minute outlap.

In R1, I did a 3000 rpm in 4th gear outlap and then slowed down in the in T10 (of 15) to 2500rpm in 2nd gear and stayed there for the rest of that outlap until the green. That apparently was too fast for the back of the pack...

In R3, I did a slower outlap, 2500 rpm in 4th gear until T10, then slowed to 3000 in third. I "did" increase the rpm's by a few hundred (to 3200-3300) once I exited T15 prior to the green... fine, my bad. Shoot me...

In each race, I did look over my shoulder in the carousel to see how the grid was forming up and it "seemed" to be bunching up to where we "should" be okay over the next five turns and the first part of the front straight.

You guys put your collective heads together and give the AI guys a guideline. If you want a specific mph, fine... Just tell me what you guys will be comfortable with. I can do whatever is deemed, smart, safe, and not hindering other's ability to form up correctly.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you are already getting the hang of this director stuff. Maybe its something to be discussed as far as how many cars are in the field and how long the track is to determine outlap speeds. I don't own a gun so I can't shoot you. But even a 2-300 rpm increase results in a big change once it goes back over 100 yds when the back of the field is just starting the s's.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    This is the "warm-up" lap for Race 1 ...

http://lawmotorsports.net/vids/TWS/Apr11/TheOutLap.wmv
    Mitch,
    You formed up properly between T11 and T12... What's the big deal? You had maybe 5-6 cars behind you that would have formed before the T13-T15 complex and would have been perfectly sorted by the front straight...

There was "zero" grumble from the starter about R1 regarding bad formations...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Mitch,
    You formed up properly between T11 and T12... What's the big deal? You had maybe 5-6 cars behind you that would have formed before the T13-T15 complex and would have been perfectly sorted by the front straight...

There was "zero" grumble from the starter about R1 regarding bad formations...

Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    I was in 4th gear before the end of the pit wall and at 5K in fourth on the back straight ... LOL
    I just found it odd.

You certainly didn't drive that fast on the cool-down lap. Why?