Thread: Engine Guru's...need your oppinion!

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar

Engine Guru's...need your oppinion!

I put in another engine I bought used without much information known about it.

The engine itself sounds great.... as long as you don't listen to exhaust from the rear of the car.

As the exhaust exits, it sounds just like it has an exhaust leak around the exhaust manifolds. However, it only sounds this way at the back of the car. Under the hood, the car runs and sounds perfect. No miss, no knock....just nice and smooth from idle to redline.

Dad and I reset the valves tonight hoping to mabye find the cause of the sound or stop it, but adjusting the valves had no affect on the exhaust sound.

Throw out your oppinions. I am kind of leaning to maybe a burnt valve...what do you think?? The problem with this theory is that the engine sound so good.

I am close to pulling the heads now and will likely miss Hallett, since my schedule is pretty filled between now and race weekend.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    James - sorry to hear this. You're right - could be a burnt valve or hole in a piston. A compression or leakdown test would confirm / deny this theory before you go to the trouble of pulling the heads though. Is it throwing any codes? If you can get a datalog (there are several free programs out there for OBDI) that would also be helpful....a burned valve or piston should show up as a big difference in O2 readings from side to side. Happy to look through the logs for you if you're able to get them.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Thanks Casey.... I am going to do a compression test, but it will probably be on Monday before I get a chance to get back to work on it.

I have a 93 computer so I can pull codes and nothing other than the egr codes were showing.

The car seems to run so smooth is what is throwing me off on a burnt valve or piston... I would think it would have a slight miss.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    If the compression test comes back normal (or relatively normal).....RACE IT!

Adam G.
    CMC #5
    2009 California Pony Car Cup CMC Champion
    2009 SoCal CMC Champion (Team Hollywood)
    2012 Kona Blue Metallic Boss 302 #1710
    Buy a hooptie, then race that mofo!
    NASA SoCal Race Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    x2!

Heeeyyy.....waaaaiiittt a minute....you're not trying to pull whole that McLaren / Redbull F1 thing where the exhaust gas generates downforce but sounds all weird are you? GLENN.....GLENN!!
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    +3!!!

If it's an "unknown", it's a ticking time bomb!!! RACE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg View Post
    If the compression test comes back normal (or relatively normal).....RACE IT!

The thought has definitely crossed my mind. I just wonder what would happen if it is a burnt valve.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I am close to pulling the heads now and will likely miss Hallett, since my schedule is pretty filled between now and race weekend.
    Wouldn't think it would run "well" and have no codes with a hole in a piston. There have to be enough parts floating around this group, besides how hard is it to put the top end of the motor back together? Glenn can change the valve springs out in about an hour.

Come race the thing.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!