Thread: How much crunch is too much crunch?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

Unhappy How much crunch is too much crunch?

So now the car crunches going into 3rd.

I still speculate that I mounted the clutch master a little too low on the firewall but with brand new hydraulics it would go into every gear cleanly when running. It hasn't liked going into reverse when running for a while now but doesn't creep in gear with the engine running and clutch in.

I changed the clutch fluid and bled it but there is still some crunch going into third with the engine running. Engine off, it will shift into every gear cleanly.

How much abuse will this thing take?

I have a spare trans (that i've never run) and clutch (that i've never run) to bring to Hallett just in case.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    So now the car crunches going into 3rd.

I still speculate that I mounted the clutch master a little too low on the firewall but with brand new hydraulics it would go into every gear cleanly when running. It hasn't liked going into reverse when running for a while now but doesn't creep in gear with the engine running and clutch in.

I changed the clutch fluid and bled it but there is still some crunch going into third with the engine running. Engine off, it will shift into every gear cleanly.

How much abuse will this thing take?

I have a spare trans (that i've never run) and clutch (that i've never run) to bring to Hallett just in case.
    I drove a 1967 VW for three years grinding going into second gear. It was still doing it when I sold it in 1976. Of course it was not a racecar and only made 53 h/p.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    The gears themselves are pretty strong....the syncros are not. Sounds like the syncros are worn bad on reverse and third.

I have flipped the reverse syncro before and isn't that big of a deal work with, but the farther you get down in the transmission the more difficult I could see it is to fix and I just had Texas Drivetrain repair it when I lost 4th and 5th.

Download the T-56 re-build manual.

http://shbox.com/1/t56_service_manual.pdf
    Last edited by AllZWay; 06-06-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    if you want to rebuild it without it costing alot more than it should, swap it now. If you don't care, run it till it won't go in anymore.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    i've rebuilt half a dozen T56's. they aren't too bad if you take your time.
    its worth it to try it out.
    I've had good luck using royal purple synchromax in bandaid'ing a crunch syncro.
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay
    Instructions ~ I don't need no stinkin' instructions!
    Thanks, James; never hurts to have that link floating around. What did your work cost you? Anybody got a Houston shop they trust if I don't dive in it myself?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrewmr2
    If you don't care, run it till it won't go in anymore.
    Ken, tell me again why you don't race with us... you fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by y5e06
    I've had good luck using royal purple synchromax in bandaid'ing a crunch syncro.
    I may try that... and bring the spare to Hallett. I guess I have another project now. Good excuse to buy a press now.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Hood's Avatar
    David,
    It still sounds like you may have a little clutch dragging while it is supposed to be disengaged. Jack up the rear wheels. Start the car with it in gear (doesn't matter what gear) and the clutch depressed and foot on the brake. Release the brake (while still holding the clutch pedal down) and observe the rear wheels. If they move then you still have a clutch problem.
    Gary Hood
    CMC #20
    OH WOW! Racing

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    What did your work cost you?
    I can't really remember, but I think it was less than $500 including parts. Mitch has also used them to rebuild a transmission and he might remember what his cost.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Ken, tell me again why you don't race with us... you fit right in.
    haha I know - when I've got enough racing budget to field two cars...

btw - pretty sure my parent's neighbor that does alot of the Mustang guys' T5s also can do misc other Tremec stuff. That'd be my first call anyway...
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Houston T-56 repair. Look up Rosehill Performance http://www.rosehillperformanceparts.com/ NW area off of 290 and Mueschke Rd. Keeps a lot of parts in stock and is very reasonab le on the labor rates.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.