Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF I thought this was a done deal?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

WTF I thought this was a done deal?

Just received this e-mail.

Dear NASA Member / Former Member,

Please forgive me for this unsolicited email. This really isn’t about NASA either. It’s about a brand new, state of the art, racing facility here in the USA; Austin Texas to be exact. They are trying to lock in a Formula One race, and without all of the state and local authorities fully onboard, it might not happen. If it doesn’t happen, the track project might fail. Please spare just a few seconds to sign the petition referenced below. I am including the original letter from the track below.

Thank you for your help,

Jerry Kunzman
    Executive Director
    PS: The meeting is June 23. Please spread this through all social media.

If this is not a done deal it's on the schedule for next year and they have spent a ton of money already.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    I signed the petition using my 'spam email address'.
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Typical of Austin. I signed it as well with Sam's work email.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Welcome to Texas politics. This is largely being led by a city council woman who is running for higher office on a platform primarily based on fighting the F1 deal. Apparently that appeals to some voters who are pissed about recent cuts in education funding even though the two are mutually exclusive. It'll go through in the end but not without sufficient political grandstanding along the way.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey_SS View Post
    Welcome to Texas politics. This is largely being led by a city council woman who is running for higher office on a platform primarily based on fighting the F1 deal. Apparently that appeals to some voters who are pissed about recent cuts in education funding even though the two are mutually exclusive. It'll go through in the end but not without sufficient political grandstanding along the way.
    This... I have been following this on LinkedIn. I think it still happens, but there are big city council meeting today.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Similar grandstanding took place in the mid 90s when Texas Motor Speedway was on the drawing board.

I recall many commissioners and council folks saying that this area wouldn't support such a facility and that the promoters were inflating the projected numbers of folks attending and economic impact.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Typical of Austin. I signed it as well with Sam's work email.
    Ironically, that's my 'spam email address'.

If you got an Aflac card on your car, that was a clever retaliation prank by a friend (NASA in April, I parked his car sideways in the TWS garages, blocking some of his GTS buddies' spots). He found a box of my old Aflac cards while staying at the house that weekend then distributed them on windshields Sat night at Hallett. Well played Jake.
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You have to remember Austin has more Hippie tree huggers than about anyplace on earth except San Fran. Austin had a sidewalk flower vendor as mayor for a few years.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Ahhh.... hence the suggestion by the one council member that the COTA facility incorporate a community garden.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    Ahhh.... hence the suggestion by the one council member that the COTA facility incorporate a community garden.
    hell we'll let them hold some hippie festivals there if they want - just let 'em finish building it already!
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"