Thread: Hallett Carnage II

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

Hallett Carnage II

Anybody ever had a pinion seal leak?

When I pushed the car off the trailer, it made a not so nice noise. I pulled the rear cover and it seemed both low on fluid and not the prettiest color and there was some fluid "fling" on the floorpan. I also can't get the diff to move differentially with the car on jackstands. I have a call into Auburn to get some tech on how much effort it should take to counter rotate the wheels.

The wear pattern looks ok on the ring gear and the wheels turn freely, just together.

Comments and advice? Just put fresh fluid in it and drive the piss out of it?

Any good way to check the pinion seal? Is it easy enough to pull the yoke and just replace the seal without disturbing the gear setup?

Thanks.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Anybody ever had a pinion seal leak?

When I pushed the car off the trailer, it made a not so nice noise. I pulled the rear cover and it seemed both low on fluid and not the prettiest color and there was some fluid "fling" on the floorpan. I also can't get the diff to move differentially with the car on jackstands. I have a call into Auburn to get some tech on how much effort it should take to counter rotate the wheels.

The wear pattern looks ok on the ring gear and the wheels turn freely, just together.

Comments and advice? Just put fresh fluid in it and drive the piss out of it?

Any good way to check the pinion seal? Is it easy enough to pull the yoke and just replace the seal without disturbing the gear setup?

Thanks.
    I suggest ...

http://www.aicmctexas.com/main/showt...r-end-complete
    Last edited by mitchntx; 06-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    Well played sir
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29