Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CMC Mustang guys - inside please!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CMC Mustang guys - inside please!

I has been pointed out to me that some of the Mustang guys may be running a non-legal part on their CMC cars. I for one have not seen the part in question on any of our CMC cars. If I had, this would have come up sooner.
    This is what I was told some folks have been running:
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=513

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...usp/MMSM-1.jpg

If you have this part or anything like this for rear upper shock attachment, please remove it before the 2012 season. I will be looking for this part at the first event of 2012 and each event thereafter. And just so we are all clear, I have consulted the other Regional Directors and the National Director before I made this post. All the Directors that took the time to respond to the email sent to all CMC Directors are in agreement that this part is not legal.
    If you are not clear on this (or clear on why it is not legal), please get with me over the phone, in person, or via email. DQ's will be handed out for this. Please don't make me be the bad guy.
    Last edited by GlennCMC70; 12-13-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by glenncmc70 View Post
    please don't make me be the bad guy.
    too late!!!

Senior Member Grass-Passer jeremiahkellam's Avatar
    Bushing material is unresticted! Yall are full of shit!! Have fun in 2012!!
    2010 CMC2 National Champion
    2010 Texas CMC2 Champion
    2010 Summer Shootout Champion - CMC2
    Call it what you want... But that sounds like a Triple Crown to me!!
    http://www.gagemotorsports.com

Blog Entries
    If you want to replace the bushings w/ what ever you want, that is fine. Moving the mounting point (up or down) is not allowed.
    In this instance, the pivot point of the shock in the OEM set-up is at the plane of the sheetmetal chassis. By moving this pivot point, you have changed the geometery. I wanted to do something similar back in 2006 that didn't involve drilling holes and used the OEM hole as the mount and was not allowed to.

A similar issue is at hand w/ the front of a 4th gen. I rerquired to have a $100+ mount (upper shock pin) custom built to mount non-OEM shocks in the OEM hole on top. I could build a mount w/ $10 parts from the local dirt track shop, but was told the pivot point of the shock would be lowered thus not keeping the OEM geometry. This is not a new interpretation of the rule. I've been fighting this for a number of years.

But if that is not good enough, here is the rule where it is clearly stated.

7.33.8 Any non-remote reservoir shock absorbers, of any origin, that are readily available to the public from a retail source for less than $800 a pair may be used provided they attach to the OEM stock unmodified mounting points and do not alter the stock geometry, with the exceptions outlined in 7.33.10 below.

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    ...and if you have to get rid of a set, I'll take it.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    I has been pointed out to me that some of the Mustang guys may be running a non-legal part on their CMC cars. I for one have not seen the part in question on any of our CMC cars. If I had, this would have come up sooner.
    This is what I was told some folks have been running:
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=513

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...usp/MMSM-1.jpg

If you have this part or anything like this for rear upper shock attachment, please remove it before the 2012 season. I will be looking for this part at the first event of 2012 and each event thereafter. And just so we are all clear, I have consulted the other Regional Directors and the National Director before I made this post. All Directors are in agreement that this part is not legal.
    If you are not clear on this (or clear on why it is not legal), please get with me over the phone, in person, or via email. DQ's will be handed out for this. Please don't make me be the bad guy.

Why are we even talking about this? I was going to install these in the off season to get more travel. Why did this come up now?

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    I was looking at these as well. Glad I didnt pull the trigger. I thought they fell under the bushing material rule.
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Why are we even talking about this? I was going to install these in the off season to get more travel. Why did this come up now?

JJ
    It was pointed out to me over the phone a couple days ago.
    I wouldn't matter if it came up now, six months from now, or six months ago, the end result would have been the same - not legal. This interpretation was given to me many years ago, so the ruling is not a new one although I did consult w/ the Directors this week to be sure it is still the correct interpretation. Not really the point since the rule has been the same since I started in CMC.
    I don't know who has these as that was not part of the info provided. I'm glad you didn't install them yet.

Jerry - to address your shock length problem.... The 3rd/4th gen guys use a shock that is 2" shorter than OEM in the rear. I think a 7" is the stock stroke and we use a 5". Something to consider.

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    That does present a problem for the guys that have installed these already.

From the MM website: "and installation of this shock mount is not easily reversible".
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edrock96GT View Post
    That does present a problem for the guys that have installed these already.

From the MM website: "and installation of this shock mount is not easily reversible".
    I possibly does. This would only be an issue if we allowed these at one time and then changed the rule. Since these have never been allowed (read as - the rule has been the same for many years), the problem is not in the lap of the Directors.
    If a fix needs to be done, work w/ the Directors if you are unsure of the legality of the repair.