I got caught speeding on the way to Houston on Friday. I was ticketed for 70 in a 60. One of those speed traps where the speed drops for no reason and I had the cruise on.

However, I also received two trailer violation tickets, so guys beware what some popo are looking for.

1. No brake away device to lock the trailer wheels in the event it came disconnected from the truck. I was not aware I had to have one, but the law states that if the gross weight of the trailer and cargo is over 4500lbs, you must have this device.
I talked with alot of folks and looked at their trailers and probably only 50% had this device.

2. No yearly trailer inspection. I had no idea of this law and actually never heard of such. Below is what the inspection covers. I didn't talk to anyone that was aware or had this inspection sticker.

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.
* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
2. Tires
3. Wheel Assembly
4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
5. Tail Lamps (2)
6. Stop Lamps (2)
7. License Plate Lamp (1)
8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
9. Turn Signal Lamps
10. Clearance Lamps
11. Side Marker Lamps
12. Side Reflectors
13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

I was also threatened a ticket for not having commercial plates. Since the car has number, we must be making money was his statement. He first told me to take it up with the judge, but chose not to fine me.

So folks... be aware.....If you do a little searching...apparently the states and local governments are needing more revenue and this is their new revenue stream.