Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cresson Test and Tune

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    So they lowered the half day price to $150.00. WOW! I bet they fill up now with that great deal.

Dave,

Word is we are running the whole track?

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    So they lowered the half day price to $150.00. WOW! I bet they fill up now with that great deal.

Dave,

JJ
    Man I hope not. I'll reconsider racing that weekend if we do. Seen way to many cars ripped up (floorpans) due to off's.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    I thought TT was the only group running the 3.1...same as last year, right?
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post

Dave,

JJ
    Really?

I would reconsider NOT running if the 3.1 is used.

First weekend the 3.1 was open a C5 stradled a curb and took off an oil pan.
    That's the only incident I've heard about.

I think in the last 5 years, the curbing has been back-filled in the low spots.

I've run the 3.1 a lot and it's no worse than any other track.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I agree Jerry, it sounds like the previous owners of MSRH are running the test / tune with their pricing.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

First, yes the 1/2 day is now an option and it's $150. Just FYI, this is a separate organization who has rented the track on Friday. As a favor to NASA, they have set aside time for our racers to get some test and tune. At first it was $250 for the whole day and I convinced Judy she'd get more at a lower price and offer a 1/2 day. So they did. So sign up so it'll pay off for them.

AFAIK, Cresson didn't do CBP unless you were a member or guest? At least this is how it was last year which I thought was funky. So I hope I did a good thing?

Don't worry - If we did the 3.1, the Thunder group (and Blitz?) would be the LAST to drive on it. There aren't enough of you to pay for it!!!! TT is kicking ass and will most likely have 40+ cars again and they like the 3.1 and can support it. So they'll be the lucky ones again.

If the 3.1 rips parts off you car, stay on the track (or.... So You Think You Can Stance?)! I've got people telling me they'd come race at Cresson if we ran the 3.1, but the 1.7 is boring so why bother. Funny - I have never raced on any track that is boring, any time i am driving flat out in a car every track is fun!! Spec Miata wanted to run CW, but I knew it would be fight with certain race groups who had only run it one way and it'd be tough to flipflop during the day, so I passed on it. Too each his own . I personally thought the 3.1 was a freakin blast and I'd not hesitate to race on it. I also stood on the corner stations for some of the TT sessions and walked around and drove my BMW out to the bunkers. I saw no alligators or barbed wire.

If any AI/CMC'er wants to try the 3.1, let me know and we will find a way to squeeze you in.
    Last edited by nasa-rm; 02-11-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Speaking of flip/flopping, I might as well tell you all now since I know most of you like the upper paddock.

Now that I have experienced it once, the paddock layout at MSRC made no sense and grid was a nightmare. I guess it was fine when you have <20 cars, but in order to fit the big groups we are rearranging. I have a map I will post, but all paddock spots will be located down the hill away from grid. Grid will take over the skid pad area. Tech/impound will be under the covered area at track exit where we can actually catch cars coming off track.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    First, yes the 1/2 day is now an option and it's $150. Just FYI, this is a separate organization who has rented the track on Friday. As a favor to NASA, they have set aside time for our racers to get some test and tune. At first it was $250 for the whole day and I convinced Judy she'd get more at a lower price and offer a 1/2 day. So they did. So sign up so it'll pay off for them.

AFAIK, Cresson didn't do CBP unless you were a member or guest? At least this is how it was last year which I thought was funky. So I hope I did a good thing?

Don't worry - If we did the 3.1, the Thunder group (and Blitz?) would be the LAST to drive on it. There aren't enough of you to pay for it!!!! TT is kicking ass and will most likely have 40+ cars again and they like the 3.1 and can support it. So they'll be the lucky ones again.

If the 3.1 rips parts off you car, stay on the track (or.... So You Think You Can Stance?)! I've got people telling me they'd come race at Cresson if we ran the 3.1, but the 1.7 is boring so why bother. Funny - I have never raced on any track that is boring, any time i am driving flat out in a car every track is fun!! Spec Miata wanted to run CW, but I knew it would be fight with certain race groups who had only run it one way and it'd be tough to flipflop during the day, so I passed on it. Too each his own . I personally thought the 3.1 was a freakin blast and I'd not hesitate to race on it. I also stood on the corner stations for some of the TT sessions and walked around and drove my BMW out to the bunkers. I saw no alligators or barbed wire.

If any AI/CMC'er wants to try the 3.1, let me know and we will find a way to squeeze you in.

The 1.7 at Cresson is my favorite track (other than Hallett). I really like it better clockwise but either way is okay by me. Ricochet CW is a blast. I have only run the 3.1 once and it was years ago in my C6.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree about keeping the car on track, but..... I would rather go 4 off and avoid another car than to think there will be less damage if I just stay on track and hope for the best. I have the same feelings about ECR. The new section of MSR-C and all of ECR has very few safe "4 off" areas. So it is notmy fault for going off, it is the tracks fault for not prep'ing the track like they should.