Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new seat...whaddya think??

Looking for new seat...whaddya think??

Planned to change out the Cobras for a full containment Kirkey or Ultrashield and just sold the Cobras, so I thought I'd get opinions now.
    Not familiar with all the containment variations that Ultrashield has...subtle and not-so-subtle differences.
    Any other options you'd consider?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Love my Ultrashield. Been using it since 2001 (same seat). Carefull w/ the containment seats, they often make it harder to get in/out of the car. Consider having it built as a containment seat, but omit the driver side of that add on.

I'm very happy with my Kirkey halo seat. I like Mindy's Ultrashield even better. Can't go wrong with either IMO...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MPHoldway View Post
    I'm very happy with my Kirkey halo seat. I like Mindy's Ultrashield even better. Can't go wrong with either IMO...
    Mindy - do you often speak of yourself in the 3rd person? Or is Casey at it again?

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    I love my ultrashield road race halo seat. Its not too much harder to get out of than the non containment seat mike had loaned me last year.
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

@Glenn...good point about the containment on the left side...I need to think that through since the S197 has a pretty high window...planning to move the seat back a bit so thinking that might compensate.

The Kirkey seems pretty straightforward...they have just the one road race version that is full containment is that correct?
    The Ultrashield has 3 or 4 different versions with seemingly gyrating features and escalating prices. It seems they get lighter and have slicker engineering as they get more expensive but I'm not seeing a real differentiator that screams "you gotta have this feature" by way of comfort/safety though...anyone have insight there?

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    I have the non-halo Ultra shield. It's plenty stiff and very comfortable. The only reason I wish I had the halo is to get rid of the head net.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Blog Entries
    Ultrashield is located in Tyler. It is worththe drive to go down and get measured and talk w/ them about your needs. They can custom fab what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Ultrashield is located in Tyler. It is worththe drive to go down and get measured and talk w/ them about your needs. They can custom fab what you need.
    Excellent point!
    Thanks for all the input everyone!

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Calder,
    I have the standard Ultrashield Road Race seat and love it. IMO all the "lightweight" options are a waste b/c you would likely be talking 3-5 lbs at the most.

I was also looking into getting the same one Jeremy has b/c it is a circle track seat with the halo and is only about $475. It has the extra rib protection but I opted to not do it b/c it was a little more difficult to get out, as Glenn and others mentioned. It is crazy to think that a seat with extra material is a lot cheaper but that is the way they market them.

I'd also do some searching on the various internet sites as I have seen prices vary by $100. I think I paid $575 for mine shipped.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region