Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid mounts

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar

Solid mounts

Well I finally completed the engine swap and fired up the old-school 347. A little more work than I anticipated. After heat cycling the engine a few times and listening to the normal sounds of metal expanding and contracting I developed a concern that I want some input on. The engine has 2 custom solid steel motor mounts the and tranny also has a custom steel mount, all of which are grossly overbuilt as only I can. My question: is this too rigid? Do I need to account for heat related expansion and contraction? I could put a nylon or rubber spacer and back off on the mounting bolt torque at the tranny mount. Is this a valid concern or me being paranoid? FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Frank,
    At the temps that we run, I wouldn't worry about it... Worst case, put a poly trans mount on it somehow and call it a day. Mine has solid fronts and a poly trans and hasn't had any issues.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra132 View Post
    Well I finally completed the engine swap and fired up the old-school 347. A little more work than I anticipated. After heat cycling the engine a few times and listening to the normal sounds of metal expanding and contracting I developed a concern that I want some input on. The engine has 2 custom solid steel motor mounts the and tranny also has a custom steel mount, all of which are grossly overbuilt as only I can. My question: is this too rigid? Do I need to account for heat related expansion and contraction? I could put a nylon or rubber spacer and back off on the mounting bolt torque at the tranny mount. Is this a valid concern or me being paranoid? FMR
    the general rule of thumb if you are running solid engine mounts, you MUST run poly or softer trans mount. something about broken bell housing and tailshafts. Seriously suggest a poly mount on the trans....

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra132 View Post
    Jay had a Firehawk that kept breaking the trans mount. We installed a poly trans mount and the car almost shook apart. I don't know why but after changing back to a rubber mount everything went back to normal.

JJ

Thanks. I will soften the back mount a bit. FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I realize this is a completely different environment, but when I ran dirt we ran solid motor mounts and had to run a softer poly or even rubber transmission mounts. The torque would break transmission cases.

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Frank,
    At the temps that we run, I wouldn't worry about it... Worst case, put a poly trans mount on it somehow and call it a day. Mine has solid fronts and a poly trans and hasn't had any issues.

No issues?
    AI # 12

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjlmlml View Post
    No issues?
    Not that I can relate to the engine and trans mount...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Just like what was said already, Solid Front and Poly rear.. you have to run the poly in the rear of you will have problems.

I have been running Solid Engine mounts and Poly Trans mounts since my car was built, no issues with them at all.
    DD

Done!