Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyo Source?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    So has anyone ever run them as full treads? Just curious if it really makes that much of a difference? I'm sure it does if you are a trophy girl looking for an extra tenth? I'm just thinking that it may not be worth it to shave them and spend an extra 80 bucks to get half the life out of them?
    Any thoughts/experience.
    Yes... you would have better luck with 888s... and once you make a lap on fulls you can't find anyone to shave them...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info-I'm a little surprised. I assumed the full treads would be a little off from the start but not that bad and once they got down to 4/32's they would be about the same as one that is shaved. My logic was get a full tread to use for practice to wear down till they were good thin to wins. What I don't know is how the number of heat cycles affect the tire.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    BL - using full treads for Friday practice is a reasonable approach IMO as long as you go easy on them. They overheat much easier at full tread and if abused, they'll irreversibly have less grip and shorter life than if you just started at 5/32 to begin with. My earlier comments assumed you meant using full treads for qualifying and race sessions, which I think would slow you down more than you'd like and be much harder to "take care of" in the heat of battle. Expect 8-12 sessions of 8/10's driving to wear them down enough for racing. More for qualifying if you're trying to grid as high as possible.

OTOH, if you view qualifying as just more practice (nothing wrong with that)...I say screw it...just run whatever you've got and have fun. It's easy to take this stuff too seriously sometimes - all the little details do make a difference but you have to balance the level of effort and $$ you put in vs. the fun you get out of it.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I agree with Casey's last point. Unless you are seriously a top 5 finisher every time to put you on the podeum 80% of the time, I wouldn't worry much about tires, except how to get the lowest cost of use... (just stay away from 888's. They actually make your car worth less and suck money from the rest of the car since they are so hard to drive)...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    Morgan,

http://aicmctexas.com/main/showthrea...-17-Full-Tread

These are still available
    AI # 12

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We now have a links and resources section of the site, I will update the main post as people suggest links, Let me know if I missed some. I need help on some of these. Especially the Ford section

http://www.aicmctexas.com/main/forum...p?19-Resources

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    tirerack now carries shaved toyos.
    For what its worth, I've already told JG I was ordering from him anyway. support the local guys.

Tires- JG (ex AI)
    Brakes - Donovan (AI)
    paint rubs & tire donuts- Randy english CMC
    Dust Collector

BL - Found this on the NASA forums.

Red Tornado wrote:
    and mount up some full tread toyo RA1 tires and practice away.

I wouldn't run full tread Toyos in the dry. Pushing them full tilt will blister them pretty quick. We have a set from Brainerd last year that boiled when we guessed wrong on the setup and the track dried in 3 laps.

j

AI- CR Fox Mustang GT #76
    AI- CR S197 Mustang GT #75- 2011 MW AI Champ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If the track dried in 3 laps, they should have never taken the slicks off. Full treads are for rains and only w/ LOTS of standing water. If there is not standing water - slicks/shaved all the way.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by cjlmlml View Post
    I need a set of drys for Hallett. I thought I would buy the 2 from you, 2-3 new ones from Chicane23 and have them all shaved. Chicane's tire shaver will not take even unused tires for shaving. I've never heard of that.
    Last edited by HoustonNW; 05-17-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85