Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of the FOX...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

Evolution of the FOX...

Since I dislocated my shoulder, I knew I had some time between Hallett and ECR... Something Richard Pedersen said at Hallett really struck me.

"Why try and move everything to the back for weight balance when you can just move the entire car..."

Well, that's what I've done.. The rear axle is now 1" further forward and the front hubs are 2 1/2" further forward since the last time anyone has seen the car.

Rear End
    I started by cutting out the rear torque boxes (they suck anyway, right) and building my own boxes from 1/4" and 1/8" plate. This would allow me to go from a 14" tubular rear control arm to a 23" tubular rear control arm, ala "World Challenge" of the early 90's... The torque arm frame mount was welded in, so I had to shorten the torque arm by an inch. Since the rear end was 1" further forward, I wanted to keep the relative angle of the rear shocks the same, so we built some aluminum spacers 1" thick in the same contour as the shock mount. I had to have a custom driveshaft built which is 1.5" shorter than stock to ensure I don't destroy the tranny under bump. I can't leave well enough alone, and to allow for more tuning, I cut out the panhard bar and installed a Griggs Racing Watts Link so I can adjust the rear roll center. With the rear moved forward 1", the tire still can go thru full compression without hitting the wheel well. I still have to flare to use the 1" spacers. For ECR, it will most likely run a narrow track width, unless I get really good at building flares between then and now...

Marshall's take on World Challenge torque boxes

Here they are installed.

Torque arm in pieces

Torque arm back together

Rear partially assembled with rear shock spacers installed.

Watts link partially installed (no frame mount yet)

Rear moved forward 1".

What I will eventually cover with some flares, which hopefully will be integrated into side skirts... maybe.

Here are the flares without the side skirts.

Front End
    To move the front track forward, my idea was to utilize the stock MM K-member and modify the lower arms to accept heim joints and them push the arms further forward. Nothing that a few weld inserts and rod ends from Coleman can't handle. The front went forward about 2 1/2", so I had to move the rack as well. I was able to get right at an inch of foward movement before the front oil pan sump stopped me. There is no real way to move the rack in front of the oil pan (at least that I could tell). I still have to finish cutting the fenders and dealing with how to flare/cover what I have left.

Control arms in pieces

Here is a picture of the front assembled, but without the spacers between the rod ends and the heim joints... Those were custom made to measure.

Silver spacers on the rack and pinion.

Here is what I ended up with... 102.25" wheelbase

Flares anyone??

Do we ever get done jacking with any of our crap??? Now I just need to build a compliant dash ....
    Last edited by marshall_mosty; 09-09-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    There is no real way to move the rack in front of the oil pan (at least that I could tell).

A dry sump isn't allowed but a remote oil pump is. Then just cut the front hump off of the oil pan and weld it flat...

Very cool stuff. Nice job. :-)

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Has Celine Dion retired?

She's going to "part time" at Caesar's Palace starting next month... Shania Twain will start in December. Can't remember who the other "fill in" will be between September and December... I need to renew my fan club membership.
    Marshall Mosty

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27 View Post
    Has Celine Dion retired?
    Nope, not as of a week and a half ago when Marshall was at her latest concert.
    I wish I was kidding.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Nope, not as of a week and a half ago when Marshall was at her latest concert.
    I wish I was kidding.
    It's the brownie points that keep ya married... You'll start understanding in less than 2 weeks, my older (but not necessarilly wiser) brother...
    Marshall Mosty

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    It's the brownie points that keep ya married...
    Is that what your wife keeps saying when you force her to go to all these concerts with you...

Richard P.

It's the brownie points that keep ya married... You'll start understanding in less than 2 weeks, my older (but not necessarilly wiser) brother...
    I second that...just spent the better part of the evening painting samples so my wife could decide on the color for her '68...12 different blends, mixes, inter-coats, depths...we actually agreed on the same one..so it's all good

Very impressive work. It pays to listen to our resident NASA rocket scientist. Looking forward to a drivers report. Dammit it is almost enough to make me want to build an AI car, but not quite. However, you should apologize to the metal in the torque boxes, 'cuz welds that ugly must hurt.

Dan Allford

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Allford View Post
    Very impressive work. It pays to listen to our resident NASA rocket scientist. Looking forward to a drivers report. Dammit it is almost enough to make me want to build an AI car, but not quite. However, you should apologize to the metal in the torque boxes, 'cuz welds that ugly must hurt.

Dan Allford
    Dan,
    I did the best I could on the welds... I made sure they were "overdone" as to not be an issue later... They will be checked for cracking frequently.
    Marshall Mosty