Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for S197

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking for S197

Looks like the thing to do. Told ya the tire was not going to fix the difference.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The tire change from 275 to 235 was a big swing. My bet is there will be another change made. This time I bet it is even bigger. The likely goal will be to place it mid pack so we know where the high and low of it is. Drastic measures have already been disused, but not likely to happen w/out a few more attempts to slow it down. Wait for the data to be scrubbed and see if it tells us what we saw w/ our eyes.

Don't buy one because of what you see now. You could very well find yourself w/ no class to race it in. I think we are pretty close to finding a solution though.

Funny how those guys complained that the tires fell off in a 20 minute race and they were not able to run competitively. Odd how the CMC track record at Mid Ohio fell on lap 16 to an S-197.

If I had to bet, I would think 3300lbs would be the new minimum. Perhaps 3350 just to be sure we are on top of it and back off in the coming years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    The tire change from 275 to 235 was a big swing. My bet is there will be another change made. This time I bet it is even bigger. The likely goal will be to place it mid pack so we know where the high and low of it is. Drastic measures have already been disused, but not likely to happen w/out a few more attempts to slow it down. Wait for the data to be scrubbed and see if it tells us what we saw w/ our eyes.

Don't buy one because of what you see now. You could very well find yourself w/ no class to race it in. I think we are pretty close to finding a solution though.

Funny how those guys complained that the tires fell off in a 20 minute race and they were not able to run competitively. Odd how the CMC track record at Mid Ohio fell on lap 16 to an S-197.

If I had to bet, I would think 3300lbs would be the new minimum. Perhaps 3350 just to be sure we are on top of it and back off in the coming years.
    I was just kidding but it's BS. It would suck to get a S197 and go to winning from the mid pack. I don't want all that crap following me.

JJ

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    3300 lb minimum? Adding 50 lbs is going to slow it down?
    Didn't Anders come off track last year around 3450 lbs after the main race?
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    3300 lb minimum? Adding 50 lbs is going to slow it down?
    Didn't Anders come off track last year around 3450 lbs after the main race?
    I was trying to be nice. I thought that is what you guys wanted from me? 3500lbs it is.
    I don't know what has changed on those cars since last year.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Didn't Anders drive his car home with baby seat in the back?
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Forget the weight rule - I think there should be a Texas regional rule that all S197s have to run AI or AIX.....oh, wait...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I was expecting a post like this after watching the race. At least the changes helped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I was expecting a post like this after watching the race. At least the changes helped.
    No one cares what I say but I told the powers that be that the smaller tire would not make much difference.
    Fastest lap and CMC TRACK RECORD in lap 16 or something. Yeah that 235 made a hell of a difference.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    No one cares what I say but I told the powers that be that the smaller tire would not make much difference.
    Fastest lap and CMC TRACK RECORD in lap 16 or something. Yeah that 235 made a hell of a difference.
    You're a good guy, Jerry, but you bitch allot. You started racing a Fox, and complained you weren't competitive. You paid some pretty big money for a racing winning SN99 CMC2 car that was VERY competitive in CA, and you have only marginally improved your finishing positions.

Ever think it's the loose nut behind the wheel moreso than the car you're racing? To put it more succinctly, you do not get enough seat time throughout the year. Want to improve your finishing position? Drive the wheels off that car as many weekends as possible. I know you hate to hear it, but there is no substitute for seat time. Attend 15-18+ events in one year, or run a 3+ hour enduro as the only driver, really push the car, then see what happens.

Besides.....are there any S197's in TX racing CMC for you to be concerned with? We have one that races regularly here in CA, and he gets on the podium, but certainly isn't running away with the CMC regional championship. He's now left the series, as he's tired of all the rules changes for the S197.

However, as you so eloquently put it -

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    The whole Nats deal is BS.
    What do you care if an S197 wins the Nats when the Nats is BS??

As I've said before, sometimes the pendulum doesn't swing far enough, sometimes it swings too far. We aren't perfect, and we don't always get it right. We do the best we can with the tools available to us. One day, maybe, when you grow up, you'll realize that it takes time to effect changes to try and make the platforms even.