Thread: SBF Expertise in Austin/San Antonio Needed

Junior Member Rookie

SBF Expertise in Austin/San Antonio Needed

I'm looking for a recommendation of someone or a shop that is considered an expert in setting up a small block fords for racing. I feel I've got it to 95% but I'm not positive I have the valve lash right and I'd like to discuss the current build, next steps, etc. Basically, I'm looking for eyes and hands to help finish it out.
    thanks!
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacook View Post
    I'm looking for a recommendation of someone or a shop that is considered an expert in setting up a small block fords for racing. I feel I've got it to 95% but I'm not positive I have the valve lash right and I'd like to discuss the current build, next steps, etc. Basically, I'm looking for eyes and hands to help finish it out.
    thanks!
    I'm no expert but I build all my engines and setting up valve lash is not hard. Just a matter of making sure you are on the base of the cam. I assume you are talking about solid lifters? I live in Georgetown but I'm installing a lift so I'm covered up right now.

JJ

Junior Member Rookie
    I'm using hydraulic lifters. When I assembled the engine it all seemed right with no play in the pushrods that were on pumped up lifters. However, after reading a bit more I started getting concerned that I was not scientific in my measurements. Basically, I'm looking to see if A) this is something I should worry about and B)if someone could go through my setup to check for anything I overlooked. I've got a few PMs with recommendations, so thanks all!
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Are you using pedestal rockers or stud rockers?
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Junior Member Rookie
    I have pedestal rockers. The heads are reconditioned older Edelbrock performer, rockers are scorpion 1.6, lifters are FRPP hydraulic and the pushrods are stock length. The heads were milled a bit when they were recon'd. It seems the aluminum rockers are a weak point and I need to replace them with chromoly.
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Brian,
    Reference the following:

http://cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/453e_.pdf
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...