Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racin' Shoes

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar

Racin' Shoes

Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular driving shoe? Something reasonably priced perhaps.
    I need a new pair, I hate my current ones. Its not like I can go down to the Shoe Warehouse and try them out.
    I've had simpsons in the past, I liked the way they felt in the car OK. Basic. foot got hot (not a hot shoe, but a hot foot....). Sole peeled off.
    I have Piloti's. they suck. like wearing steel toed boots in the car. Way too clunky and actually not comfortable around the pits, the hightops and tongue dig into my ankles.
    I like the idea of a mid or hightop, ankles are protected better i the car when seated if there were a fire or something.

spill it
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Maybe not the cheapest but I am using Alpinestars. It looks like they don't make the model I am using, but the fit and comfort is excellent and I'm sure will be with their current lineup.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Love my Puma brand shoes.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I have had Simpson's and G-Force. The G-Force doesn't look much different than the Simpson's, but have lasted and felt better than the Simpsons. My Simpson's also had the sole seperate from the shoe.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I wear my fancy Simpsons in cars like the Spec Miata or Boxster. These most of the time when I run CMC since theres lots of room.

or or

Plus I don't bother taking them off between sessions.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Piloti made some awesome driving shoes but sadly they are no longer in business. However, look on ebay for them. I bought a $229 pair of their best shoes for $57 shipped, new in box a couple months ago. Misty bought 4 or 5 pairs.

Also, go down to San Marcos and go into the Simpson store. they have close out stuff. I found a pair of Karting shoes for like $75 that were nearly 200. They all come apart eventually because the glues suck. They are supposed to not catch fire however if the damn sole isn't there because it fell off, what is the point? You can use the black 3M trim adhesive/contact adhesive/gorilla snot and it works great holding them together....just don't expect it not to burn.

Also, if you read the revised NASA rules, you can wear leather wingtips if you want. No requirement for nomex lining and leather dress shoes would work. I was baffled when someone showed this to me recently. Seat rules also got simplified too.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here is a good deal. Maybe purchase cheap shoes and buy a new pair every year or two. I know the guy that owns this company and he is an ex-racer.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...ShoesandGloves

I'm getting a pair of shoes and gloves while I can at these prices.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up JerryJ. I ordered a pair and some socks for less than I was expecting to spend. we'll see how they work out.

MD
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by y5e06 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up JerryJ. I ordered a pair and some socks for less than I was expecting to spend. we'll see how they work out.

MD
    At those prices I don't see how you can go wrong.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Remind me again which race suits are the lightweight ones, multilayer?
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"