Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racin' Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith350 View Post
    Remind me again which race suits are the lightweight ones, multilayer?
    Multilayer are often heavier than single layer, but not always the case (I had a multilayer once that was lighter than Kyri's single layer). I used a multilayer 3.2A/5 suit for years before switching to a single layer 3.2A/1 suit and wore nomex (or similar) underwear with a 3.3/5 rating....much more comfortable and by adding an air gap actually gave (theoretically) better protection - the suit would give 6 or so seconds before burn, the nomex would give 9 or so and the air gap would give an additional - again theoretical - few seconds. Additionally, the multi-garment approach also gives the ability to shed the outer garment, without completely exposing the skin...no, I did not practice drop-tuck-roll-shed_firesuit. Though, nowadays you can find pretty decent prices on 3.2A.5 single layers suits so that may be the way to so (though I'd still recommend the nomex_+air gap) YMMV

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    single layer still requires Nomex undies right? So it's really a debate of if 3 thinner layers + no undies ends up cooler than 1 thicker layer + undies.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"