Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RR's for 2014......

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RR's for 2014......

Forced down the throat of CMC by NASA HQ.......
    CMC will be allowed to run the Toyo RR's for 2014 AFTER the 2nd regional event. That is mandaded by NASA HQ. Al tried to put it off a little longer, but was not able to. I found out last night. I waited until I saw him post this on the National site before I posted it here.

I knew it was coming. The issue is the lack of notice. This type of stuff should get a 6 month notice at a minimum.

More bad news.......
    Best I can tell, RR's are faster and not available in 16".

I would like to see us agree to a longer time frame. A gentleman’s agreement of sorts.
    How about we agree to push this back to the 3rd event?
    That would push this back to the April 25th TWS event for us here. Much closer to a 6 month notice.

Thoughts?

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    It's going to be pushed back until you can actually buy 17" RRs haha. Good news is they last a lot longer and are more consistent. AND you don't have to shave them!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    So....RA1's can be run until we can afford to switch?
    I spoke with the machine shop and it is not a problem to put a ford 5 bolt pattern on the hubs. This might be a cheaper option for some to go to 17". It seams there is a lot more options for spacing on ford wheels.

Thoughts??

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    So exactly when are these tires going to be available to peons like myself in "normal" sizes like 275/40/17????

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Let the RA1's continue in our region for the entire 2014 season, allowing max time to wear them out. I know of one flat black LT1 Camaro that just bought a new set of RA1's. If the RR's are faster, then the RA1's will not be a speed advantage, but at least we don't force folks to "waste" any useable RA1's.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    All,
    I agree with Glenn. Let's discuss for AI and CMC separately on this. Supply of 17's is supposed to be here by 1-Dec for RR's, but a bunch of us have plenty of RA1's (as Rob indicated).

I'll send out an email to the AI guys to see if that's something we can work out. It will be similar to thr 888 debacle of 2008... That agreement worked out as the only "oddball" was Casey on Nitto NT01's...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

But if we want to use the RR's we can with no penalty correct?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Aaron,
    For SI, that's your spec tire so I don't have an issue with that.

For CMC, you will have to discuss with Glenn. However, the idea of a "gentlemen's agreement" is to keep everyone on the same tire (for fairness) until the group decides the majority can make the switch without having huge financial impacts to the majority.

Honestly, I don't understand why NASA chooses to roll these decisions out BETWEEN seasons... If we had notice for a year, people can plan their tire budgets on how far to push their existing stock to minimize the wasted RA1's that won't be as competative...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Reason I ask is because I burned through all my RA1's at eagles canyon so I don't want to buy any more if I don't have to. They really do suck compared to the RR's. But I understand the "fairness" part of it. Not sure why NASA gave us a LATE notice. I mean less than 2 months before the new season and they change the spec tire haha.

But we need to figure something out cause I Reeeeaaallly don't want to buy more tires that I can't use more than two weekends then have them take space in my garage.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 11-17-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To be clear.....
    NASA will allow the RR after the 2nd event. This means they will be legal starting the 3rd event for CMC and not before. I am asking us if we can agree for the best intrest of the group to push the RR back one more event beyond what NASA has dictated. This means instead of seeing them at event 3 we push back to allowing them to event 4.