Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailer Talk

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trailer Talk

Who's got suggestions on trailers, good, bad, cheap, advise? Thought this would be a good thread to start. When I searched, nothing came up.
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm thinking that I want a 16 foot but I wanna build a tire rack/tool supply thing for the front.
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith350 View Post
    I'm thinking that I want a 16 foot but I wanna build a tire rack/tool supply thing for the front.
    I like my tool box and tire rack. 16ft is too short in my opinion, how long is a 4th Gen Camaro anyway? Big tires are better. Long ramps are a definite must or carry race ramps or wood. A winch would be good because you have a Chevy. Seriously, walk the pits and take notes and pictures.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Rookie
    Kwikload trailers are really nice but come with 14" wheels and are about $500-$1000 more than a traditional trailer. http://www.kwikload.com/special.htm

Pranav sent a bunch of people here with good results (Spring, TX): houstontrailerconnection.com

I'm also looking (not really) for a trailer with the following:
    - 18'
    - steel deck
    - 4' dove tail
    - 6' slide in ramps
    - 15" wheels
    - trailer brakes on both axles
    - D rings
    In the end I was looking at a $3750 trailer, for a few $$ more I could just get the Kwikload.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a Kwik-load and if I could do it over I would get the same trailer as Rob has. I hated carrying the heavy short ramps from the side to the rear and back. Rob's trailer has long ramps that just pull out. Now I don't know if he has to jack up the front like I used to and like Marshall and Michael do. I did not like that either. The Kwik-load is a good trailer but 14" wheels is not good for tires selection. If your car is really low you need a slide trailer like the Sloan.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Go to racingjunk.com....you can find decent economy 24' enclosed trailers now for just over $4k BRAND NEW. They usually come with 3500# axles which is borderline but some come with 4800# axles if you look well. Best deals are closer to Waco as they make most of them there.

Also, post here and on NASAforums/Texas to see if someone is looking to upgrade and might make you a hell of a deal. I got Jeremiah's old 24' when he was liquidating for CHEAP and you might be able to find Randy's old trailer on craigslist! too soon?! LOL!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    What's your budget?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I have a Kwik-load and if I could do it over I would get the same trailer as Rob has. I hated carrying the heavy short ramps from the side to the rear and back. Rob's trailer has long ramps that just pull out. Now I don't know if he has to jack up the front like I used to and like Marshall and Michael do. I did not like that either. The Kwik-load is a good trailer but 14" wheels is not good for tires selection. If your car is really low you need a slide trailer like the Sloan.

JJ
    My trailer started as just a steel deck with a 4 ft dove tail and hydraulic inertia brakes. I am very lucky to have a friend who fabricates and we added the toolbox mount, tire rack, new ramps with slide-in racks, under bed spare tire mount from a Chevy truck, replaced the sliding tongue with a solid type, replaced hydraulic brakes with electric, re-wired everything including reverse lights for backing in the dark, and now a winch and mount. It has 15" Load Range D trailer tires and I've only had 1 tread separation that I didn't even notice until I arrived at my destination. My ramps are close to 8 ft long. The trailer originally came with something like 4 ft ramps that loaded a high riding drag car. With the long ramps, I don't need to raise the front of the trailer but the air dam does drag a bit. The trailer is parked with two tongue locks and a wheel boot to discourage theft. There are other trailers parked nearby with less security which will hopefully be taken before mine. It is all steel, heavy, and makes a lot of noise as it bangs down the road. It has hauled Mustangs, Camaros, a 69 Torino, a Highlander, a Dodge 1500 4x2, a Crown Victoria, an Explorer, lumber and some ATV's. I like my trailer in case you are wondering. Another consideration is brake control. I prefer electric and recommend a good digital proportional controller like the Tekonsha Prodigy line. All the above is just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Mine is a pretty simple point A to B model with very few bells and whistles. It started life as a landscape trailer, progressed to jet ski team race trailer then I picked it up for $400 gave it a quick and dirty once over and promptly stuck 5000 miles on it last year. Like Rob I quite like my trailer, it has long ramps, a place for tires/tools and serves its primary purpose in life quite well; dragging my car and crud from point A to B.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith350 View Post
    build it low, most of the people that do these have them way the hell up in the air creating a shitton of drag. Whole point of an open is trading having nice weather protection and such for lower drag / better pulling speeds / better mpg.

16' sounds like an MR2 size trailer.

+1 to the Prodigy brake controller. They're the gold standard. Pony up for it.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"