Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got/want Coolsuit? In here pls.

Got/want Coolsuit? In here pls.

For those of you that have a coolsuit, how much do you fill the container? I think one of them has like 16 quarts and is supposed to last 4 hours so would you just put a 4 quarts in? Others are like 8-12 quarts...so still put around 4qts or do you need more like 6qts to keep it cool for a 45 min race?

So let's say you put 4 quarts in...that's around 8lbs right? (uhmmm 1qt - 2lb weight...cold water ...higher density...never mind) let's go with 8lbs.
    I think the container's weight around 3-5lbs.

And the draw is around 2A at 12V yes?

And they run around $350-$600 (not including shirt...shirt is not really part of this equation)

One last ?
    Which would you prefer:
    $350-$600, 12V/2A, 11-30lb and having to change water/ice
    Or
    $200-$250, 12V/3-5A, 1.5 lb and fill & forget (no worries about ice)
    Oh, and it will drive cold air for your helmet if outfitted as well.
    Oh, and it will monitor and keep temperature at predefined setting as well - air and water can be seperate temps.

Thanks for your input.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay you have our attention. My cool shirt filled with ice and just enough water at the start of a 25 minute race will be devoid of ice at the end of said race.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I build and sell my own cool suit systems that are actually a lot more efficient than cool shirt systems are and I have a helmet cooling attachment to it as well so the air goes through the chest then into my helmet. The momo cool shirt is a LOT better than the cool shirt shirt cause it uses a bladder instead of lines sewn on the fabric.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 02-18-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    I build and sell my own cool suit systems that are actually a lot more efficient than cool shirt systems are and I have a helmet cooling attachment to it as well so the air goes through the chest then into my helmet. The momo cool shirt is a LOT better than the cool shirt shirt cause it uses a bladder instead of lines sewn on the fabric.
    As I told Mike and Jim this weekend, I specialize in disrupting industries - it's fun and I'm good at it - but friends and family are generally off limits.

Having said that, if you are interested, let's talk - maybe we can look to the future together

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Okay you have our attention. My cool shirt filled with ice and just enough water at the start of a 25 minute race will be devoid of ice at the end of said race.

JJ
    What would you figure Jerry? 3 quarts of mixed water ice?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    How much water/ice? no comment...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I built a system out of a 12 quart igloo cooler and $10 bilge pump off of amazon. A few brass fittings and clear line. Only "real" stuff was the shirt and the attachment fittings. I opted for the quick release versions.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27 View Post
    How much water/ice? no comment...
    Give me a break Dave...you don't use water or ice. Two fingers down the chute if you are being polite, otherwise it's the bottle.
    Remember I drank with JLo...like father like son.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    I built a system out of a 12 quart igloo cooler and $10 bilge pump off of amazon. A few brass fittings and clear line. Only "real" stuff was the shirt and the attachment fittings. I opted for the quick release versions.
    Yeah I was going to build a cooler based ....uhmmm ...cooler too... and the water pump. But then I decided to tackle the weight thing. It's funny that I was thinking of weight savings seeing how BFP is still so damn heavy, but once my brain gets tone it just goes.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    When ballast placement is restricted but coolshirt cooler placement isn't, and you need the weight anyway, it it's a big deal.

I'll call you when I'm building a sports racer and my fat ass can't make min weight though :lol:
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"