Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 35mm

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar

35mm

Any 4th gen guys try a 35mm front bar? Results & feedback?
    now that the rules allow aftermarket, they aren't too hard to get.
    Strano has a hollow one and it is supposedly only about 5lbs heavier than stock.
    i'm contemplating trying one. its much easier to swap at the track than springs...
    currently 700/250 w/ 32/19

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by y5e06 View Post
    Any 4th gen guys try a 35mm front bar? Results & feedback?
    now that the rules allow aftermarket, they aren't too hard to get.
    Strano has a hollow one and it is supposedly only about 5lbs heavier than stock.
    i'm contemplating trying one. its much easier to swap at the track than springs...
    currently 700/250 w/ 32/19
    Corey was as fast as anyone at Hallett in your car. If he showed up for meetings and turned in contact reports he may have won the Shootout.

Jerry

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    believe me, that has not escaped my attention.
    so, "shut up and drive"?
    on another note, the car setup hasn't changed a bit since hallett 2013
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Have you at least checked it to make sure it's square? Haha

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Since you are on a different tire now, aren't all the old spring rates questionable? Surprised you aren't chasing rates similar to AI especially since you have plenty of options with shocks and valving. Sway bars are the final tuning point. If the spring rates and shocks are off, you are chasing your ass. Understand what the tire likes first and work back from that. Before we put a k member and watts link on Misty's Camaro it was basically a 500hp cmc car. Upping the spring rates netted nearly 3 seconds on an R6 Hoosier and kept the tires under the car. Going up in bar will only make the car have a narrow window if grip and less drive able. With the soft rates you posted and standard shocks, the car can barely manage weight transfer in any direction.
    Ah, fugg it.

I run the Strano 35mm front bar, but I don't know how well my experience will relate to CMC.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    I've always run the same 35mm Strano front bar with the stock 19mm rear bar...literally since the car was my daily driver. I like it fine but never played with the smaller bar to compare. With my old CMCish spring rates (800/275) and 3 blown shocks, the car tended toward understeer and really loved trailbraking, for whatever that's worth. In my case, there was a lot of front dive and roll which caused most of the understeer...however, working out how much was caused by bars vs. springs vs. shocks would take a lot of beer and probably some math (pfft). In any case, these cars sling a LOT of weight around. With your spring rates, I think you would benefit from the bigger bar.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    Since you are on a different tire now, aren't all the old spring rates questionable? Surprised you aren't chasing rates similar to AI especially since you have plenty of options with shocks and valving. Sway bars are the final tuning point. If the spring rates and shocks are off, you are chasing your ass. Understand what the tire likes first and work back from that. Before we put a k member and watts link on Misty's Camaro it was basically a 500hp cmc car. Upping the spring rates netted nearly 3 seconds on an R6 Hoosier and kept the tires under the car. Going up in bar will only make the car have a narrow window if grip and less drive able. With the soft rates you posted and standard shocks, the car can barely manage weight transfer in any direction.

Has anyone in CMC changed spring rates after going to RR's? I did not change the 55 yet but the car feels about the same as with RA1's. Just wondering what others have done.......not that they would tell the truth.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I changed my rates approx 25% stiffer on all four corners.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    I changed my rates approx 25% stiffer on all four corners.
    Is that because the RR has a softer sidewall? I want to understand.

JJ