Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 35mm

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Is that because the RR has a softer sidewall? I want to understand.

JJ
    My thought process is the higher doing rates will equate to less suspension change due to roll and therefore a more even contact patch. Since these tires don't like to be abused, I was trying to put together the whole package and that required changes on both ends. However, I think I went a bit too high on the rears.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Is that because the RR has a softer sidewall? I want to understand.

JJ
    Are you sure the sidewall is softer on the RR?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    Are you sure the sidewall is softer on the RR?

I don't know anything about the tire except it doe not like a driver with my style (not a good style) of sliding. I just assumed if Marshall went up on spring rates that he thought he lost some spring rate from the tires.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I don't know anything about the tire except it doe not like a driver with my style (not a good style) of sliding. I just assumed if Marshall went up on spring rates that he thought he lost some spring rate from the tires.

JJ
    Dot slicks hate heat. overheating them kills them for longevity too. Might explain why the tires aren't lasting too.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Spring rates aren't the problem it's air pressure. Just a hint.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    So to keep mine balanced, I increased the spring rate and dropped the pressures.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    for 35mm bars, running w/ reinforced brackets? or just the untouched stockers? likely couldn't reinforce for cmc
    Dust Collector

I've been running the stock brackets.
    It's been on my to-do list to gusset them forever, but they show no signs of deformation. Probably one of the only unbent pieces of metal on the underside of my car.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I ran 700/225 with 32/19 from the beginning and never made a change. Before Cresson I added the holy grail 35mm bar. I dragged Mitch out to help on Friday-it had a push so we put in 250's. Car was better but still had a push-Mitch made some pressure changes to get less grip in the front and more in the rear and it felt pretty good-better than ever before and I was on heat cycled RA1's. Friday night after dinner in the dark I gave the car a little toe out (I think) but never checked it. Then Saturday I put some RA1's on that were 2-3 years old with well over 20 heat cycles and the car felt awesome to me-better than ever and I was faster than I have ever been there and in comparison to others. So for me it was a great improvement-though what I don't know is if it would have been better if I just upped the rears to 250's and played with air pressures, toe, etc.
    Of course I'll never know with that car anymore. I do have the same setup on the new 24 but it didn't feel as good at TWS.

Bottom line to me is that unless you take the time to really test, take temps, make changes, run the same track and are a good enough driver to tell the difference etc. it's all just pissing in the wind-which is what I will likely continue doing. I'll still love doing it but I just haven't found that I am going to take the time necessary to do what it takes. I also won't go to bed before 10:00 on a race weekend either.
    Wow-this reminds me that Hallett is around the corner and I haven't looked at my car or even registered. I love Hallett so I'll be there but I'm ready to go to the lake once summer rolls around.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

I love Hallett so I'll be there but I'm ready to go to the lake once summer rolls around.[/QUOTE]

Casey's family and mine had a great weekend at lake Somerville last weekend. We broke both our boats before getting there so it was just like being at the track. Looking forward to Hallet, I'll have some dinner on the BBQ for those arriving Thursday night.