Thread: "CMC-S", "AI-Lite" Discussion

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

"CMC-S", "AI-Lite" Discussion

Here you guys go... enjoy.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

CMC17
    Since I cannot modify CMC17 to run in CMC-S, I don't plan on going anywhere. Well, maybe the stands as a spectator unless someone wants to give me the super secret recipe how to make 240+ hp from a "stock" 302. :roll:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I have what I have and still plan to race it, but I don't think I would have built and old race car, if I had been aware of the new rules.

I think I have the worst luck in the world when it comes to racing and picking a class.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    This in intersting... from http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...pic.php?t=2023

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G
    With this, the only cars of significant manufactured volumes not included are the 93-95 Cobras. These 93-95 Cobras, rated at 235-240Hp/285Tq, will be allowed in CMC as normal CMC cars. Folks running these motors will be allowed restrictors if necessary to get under 230. If nothing else this provides a legal alternative intake,cam,TB, etc. for 5.0 cars to make up some power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M
    Does this mean parts from 93-95 Cobras can be used on a '94 Mustang GT within CMC?
    Yes it does.
    Tony
    I'm making the ASSumption that it would also apply to 79-93 Mustangs as well as 94-95 GT's. I bet a fair percentage of the CMC guys will be trying to find GT40 irons and Cobra intakes, legal "hot" cams, and a set of roller rockers... at least everyone should be right at the 230/300 mark now...

Mike Bell, I believe you have at least part of your enternal question answered... but we'll see where this goes.

NASA is better than a soap opera! 8)
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

CMC17
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    This in intersting... from http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...pic.php?t=2023

With this, the only cars of significant manufactured volumes not included are the 93-95 Cobras. These 93-95 Cobras, rated at 235-240Hp/285Tq, will be allowed in CMC as normal CMC cars. Folks running these motors will be allowed restrictors if necessary to get under 230. If nothing else this provides a legal alternative intake,cam,TB, etc. for 5.0 cars to make up some power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M
    Does this mean parts from 93-95 Cobras can be used on a '94 Mustang GT within CMC?
    Yes it does.
    Tony
    I'm making the ASSumption that it would also apply to 79-93 Mustangs as well as 94-95 GT's. I bet a fair percentage of the CMC guys will be trying to find GT40 irons and Cobra intakes, legal "hot" cams, and a set of roller rockers... at least everyone should be right at the 230/300 mark now...

Mike Bell, I believe you have at least part of your enternal question answered... but we'll see where this goes.

NASA is better than a soap opera! 8)

It will definitely increase the amount of cars that will be "legal" now. lol

I kiiiiidd... I kiiiidd

Well, that sucks balls. I sold my now legal Cobra intake because it was not legal and now I'm stuck with 204 RWHP. Thanks for the heads up... :roll:

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    I've got mixed feelings about this one - on one hand I see the need (to accomodate late model cars, and the Cobra that had no where to race other than full blown AI) - but on the other hand, the V8 classes are being diluted even further - which is actually a retrograde step IMO. This is typical of NASA's well intended trait of being all things to all people, but may ultimately do more harm than good?

Having more classes might help individuals more easily fit their cars into a class and/or budget, but it does absolutely nothing for the quality of the racing! Case in point is the excitement of Sunday's CMC race - the large closely fought CMC field provided the best racing and got the most attention from the commentator and spectators. By adding CMC-S, we will dilute that field somewhat, and more importantly, dilute the AI field, which actually needs to grow some more!

But I do agree that something needs to change in CMC to accomodate cars that are not currently eligible. IMO, CMC does need to evolve, but it should do so in a manner that keeps it as a single class and not 2 separate ones. This could be done quite easily by having differential power to weight rules for newer cars, and/or compromising on power levels by bringing exisiting CMC cars up to say 260 while restricting newer models to similar levels - and allowing 13" brakes and 17" wheel/tire combos all around, etc.

This would allow those who want to race a late model or Cobra to do so, while not diluting the classes or taking anything away from what CMC already is. I don't see any engine configurations of exisitng CMC cars that would have any difficulty making another 30hp with little more than a cam and/or some basic headwork, and many configurations would be easier than that - an upgrade in the $100s of dollars, not $1000s. A change like this would also address the other issue that has been discussed lately of some stock engine configurations not making the class power numbers easily while other do.

Would this mean CMC will be faster? Of course - by a second or two a lap on most tracks - so we will only be 3 seconds a lap slower than AI instead of 5? Once again that's a good thing from a racing perspective.

So I say bring on some changes, but not a new class - just bring the existing one into the 21st century!
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    I like the new class. I certainly don't agree with requiring the hundred or so of current CMC cars to spend money to come up to the performance of the newer cars.

Also in my opinion, the people calling the new class AI-Lite don't have a clue on the realities of the current AI rules set. The philosophies of the two classes are about 180 degrees apart...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    Also in my opinion, the people calling the new class AI-Lite don't have a clue on the realities of the current AI rules set. The philosophies of the two classes are about 180 degrees apart...

Richard P.
    It would take $1,000's of dollor and tons of time to convert my car to a CMC or a CMC-S car... maybe a couple of the AI cars could step down. Heck, most AI cars can't be converted to CMC... if you have in the floor subframes or any seam welding your chassis will never be legal in CMC.

AI-Lite, NO...

Also, the way I read what Tony G spelled out is that the CMC-S is really only for the Mod motor Mustangs and the 05's... A Fox chassis could not make the power to compete in CMC-S according to the way I'm reading it... please correct me if I'm wrong!

David D.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Well, to answer James' question from the other thread....the 05 stangs are putting out about 270/275 at the wheels stock, to get any more is VERY expensive given that the computer tuning is very sensative to every little mod.

The other "intent" of CMC-S as stated, was to keep costs down for the racers who couldn't make it to AI. Well, I don't see too many people rushing out to snatch up $20k street cars to make them into race cars when there are MANY CMC racers out there with less than $10k in the car race ready.

My take on the whole thing is that those that MIGHT have been cheating in CMC with using GT-40 parts will now be legal and they created a -S class to let in the camaros that were too difficult to homologate into CMC... I think what you will end up getting is a CMC class full of Mustangs and a CMC-S class full of Camaros.

The national boys may have good intent with this but I THINK they may have just shot themselves in the foot while they were trying to run with a full head of steam and are realizing they still have babies' legs....

Who knows for sure but it will be interesting to see if more cars show in the region!