Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "CMC-S", "AI-Lite" Discussion

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Based on the Nationals I don't think CMC is going all Mustang any time soon. Also, look at PTB. Joel Lipperini took a T2 Mustang to some impressive lap times with fewer suspension mods than CMC allows. He is a little over the proposed power numbers and knows the course but his times are about where CMC-S will be.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I think allowing CMC cars to do "cheap" modifications to reach the 230/300 level is a good thing. I personally would rather run a restrictor than run 100% of the current combo... for durability.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    From another board:

The top ten finishers in the national say a lot about the parity in CMC. We had 5 Mustangs and 5 Camaros. There were 2 fox bodies, two 3rd gens, 3 SN95s and three 4th gens one of them running the 250HP higher weight option. Engines consisted of 3 LT1s, 2 TPIs, three 5.0 fuelies, a 4.6 and a 5.0 carb. About the only thing missing was a carb car from the general and a Pontiac.

-----------------------------
    There is good parity in CMC right now and I'm certain there will be good parity in the new CMC class although it might take a while and will probably take some tweaking of the current numbers. If you are looking for 100% rules stability, the new CMC class is not for you. It was stated right off the bat that the specifics of the new class would be tweaked as necessary.

As far as Mustangs go, there is a T2 SCCA National Championship Mustang in our region that is planning on showing up to our final event this year. Unfortunately, it will show up as an uncompetitive AI car as it was modded before this was announced...

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    This in intersting... from http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...pic.php?t=2023

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G
    With this, the only cars of significant manufactured volumes not included are the 93-95 Cobras. These 93-95 Cobras, rated at 235-240Hp/285Tq, will be allowed in CMC as normal CMC cars. Folks running these motors will be allowed restrictors if necessary to get under 230. If nothing else this provides a legal alternative intake,cam,TB, etc. for 5.0 cars to make up some power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M
    Does this mean parts from 93-95 Cobras can be used on a '94 Mustang GT within CMC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G
    Yes it does.
    Tony
    I'm making the ASSumption that it would also apply to 79-93 Mustangs as well as 94-95 GT's. I bet a fair percentage of the CMC guys will be trying to find GT40 irons and Cobra intakes, legal "hot" cams, and a set of roller rockers... at least everyone should be right at the 230/300 mark now...

Mike Bell, I believe you have at least part of your enternal question answered... but we'll see where this goes.

NASA is better than a soap opera! 8)
    Enternal, external or eternal - it's all good from here on out. Like LT, I just got fubar'd on the timing of the info, my motor was just rebuilt including the stock E7's which got all new valves and guides. However, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll start shopping for new parts and get them installed over the winter, this is good news indeed (at least from where I sit).

I have no heartburn on the CMC-S class, looks to me like a place for old SCCA T2 cars and that's a good thing IMHO. They weren't gonna be competitive in AI without big $$ and they are too stout for plain-jane CMC.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    As far as Mustangs go, there is a T2 SCCA National Championship Mustang in our region that is planning on showing up to our final event this year. Unfortunately, it will show up as an uncompetitive AI car as it was modded before this was announced...

Richard P.
    Chris' ride for october?! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bell
    I'll start shopping for new parts and get them installed over the winter, this is good news indeed (at least from where I sit).
    Well, now that my parts shopping list for the winter is:

New Roof.
    New Windshield.
    New Trailer.
    New Heads.
    New Cam.
    New Intake.
    New Mass Air.
    New Throttle Body.
    New ECM.
    New injectors.
    New Rocker Arms.

I'm not sure there's going to be any left for the race season. It was close with the bodywork and trailer purchase. I'm pretty sure I think allowing GT40 heads, let alone full on Cobra motors, in CMC is a stupid thing.

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Why Bother?

So MikeB and LT are thinking of spending big bucks to upgrade to CMC-S...

Why? What's the compelling reason to move to a more expensive class if you don't have to?
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

No. Those parts are simply to get the SBF up to 230/300 type numbers in a repeatable fashion for CMC. Not CMC-S.

Re: Why Bother?

Quote Originally Posted by gt40

Why? What's the compelling reason to move to a more expensive class if you don't have to?
    Not quite. Tony has now stated that CMC cars can run GT40 heads, Cobra intakes, Cobra Cams, Cobra Roller Rockers, Cobra Mass Air, Cobra Computers, Cobra Injectors, and then just toss in a restrictor to lower the power down to meet the spec.

The kicker is I just sold all of that shit off because it wasn't legal.

I guess all of those "stock" 302's that were magically making the numbers don't have anything to fear any more...

Yes I'm bitter about having yet another $1000 and a motor teardown thrown in front of my build. I was also bitter about building my car to the letter of the rules and being 25 HP down, so I guess the bitter doesn't change. Maybe I'm just bitter.

CMC, home of the $15000 $10000 race car...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Re: Why Bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Tanner
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40

Not quite. Tony has now stated that CMC cars can run GT40 heads, Cobra intakes, Cobra Cams, Cobra Roller Rockers, Cobra Mass Air, Cobra Computers, Cobra Injectors, and then just toss in a restrictor to lower the power down to meet the spec.

The kicker is I just sold all of that shit off because it wasn't legal.

I guess all of those "stock" 302's that were magically making the numbers don't have anything to fear any more...

Yes I'm bitter about having yet another $1000 and a motor teardown thrown in front of my build. I was also bitter about building my car to the letter of the rules and being 25 HP down, so I guess the bitter doesn't change. Maybe I'm just bitter.

CMC, home of the $15000 $10000 race car...
    Where's burch when I need him to quote me?!

'Ya'll should just........' :lol: