Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ?Knocked the Toe out of One Side-what moved?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

?Knocked the Toe out of One Side-what moved?

When I spun at ECR last year the drivers side tire hit or hooked the curbing pretty hard. It knocked the tire quite a bit toed out. Didn't see anything obvious at the track so just brought the toe in with a tie rod adjustment. Car seemed okay on Sunday. So this week I'm trying to check it out closer but I can't find anything? I can't remember if it bent the swaybar endlink bolt or not right now but I think it did. The control arm bolts didn't move in their alignment slots. Doesn't appear to be a bent control arm or upright. I have spares to compare. I'll pull them off this weekend and may replace the upright just in case. I can replace the upper and lower ball joints. I'll check the control arm bolts and spherical bearings to see if they are bent as well.
    The tie rod looks straight and the end feels fine.
    There has been a comment that maybe the steering jumped a gear or something. I checked at the steering wheel and it's the same revolutions from left or right. I'm my mind if it jumped on the rail gear it would have been off on both sides? Or is it possible that one side jumped? I thought it all turned off of one rail gear so if it moved then both tires would be turned the same direction?
    What else could I check or what might be wrong?

I'll need some help to try and make it in the top 10.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    The control arm bolts didn't move in their alignment slots.
    Are you sure? After the contact I had at TWS I had one loose enough to let it move but hard to see any evidence, including having it on an alignment rack before ECR. Have you put a wrench on all the bolts?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Now he's one deal off.

My bet is on bent or moved lower control arm. Is the rack and tie rods in front of wheel centerline or behind?
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Blog Entries
    Haven't put a wrench on anything other than the tie rod. Control arms are still moved all the way out in the slot to max camber-no evidence of them moving. I'll be taking them off anyway. Curious if one of the bolts or the bearings could be bent. No evidence that the k member has moved any in the bolt holes.

The rack and tie rods are in front of the wheel centerline.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Remember the control arms have two alignment slots, so check the rear vertical slot as well. Does your car have slotted uppers? I've seen plenty of bent uprights that you couldnt see as bent other than by the alignment numbers and relative lower control arm location in their slots.
    Al Fernandez

Blog Entries
    How easy is it to bend a spindle/knuckle/upright on these cars?

In my driving history I have bent one in a Honda Accord and a Toyota 4runner due to wheel-to-car/curb contact. Points were assessed in each case.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    How easy is it to bend a spindle/knuckle/upright on these cars?
    It's pretty easy...requires absolutely no skill at all.

Blog Entries
    One sure-fire way of checking for a bent spindle, is after confirming both LCA points are set equal on both sides (max them out temporarily), measure how much space you have between the spindle and the shock. With the long shape our spindles have it can bend inwards and take up that space.

Honestly think it's hard to bend a spindle on curb contact without first having the LCA bolts shove in all the way on the slots first, which you said they didn't?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFirePony View Post
    It's pretty easy...requires absolutely no skill at all.
    One of the best comments ever!!!
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    Now he's one deal off.

My bet is on bent or moved lower control arm. Is the rack and tie rods in front of wheel centerline or behind?
    This would be my guess also. Either the lower control arm moved, the subframe shifted, or the knuckle bent.