Thread: Shipping a transmission

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar

Shipping a transmission

I sold this guy a transmission like a year ago and he's finally coughing up money for the ride there, but the freight companies are super gay and seem to be priced rather high. They're wanting around $350 to ship a 160# pallet with a 125# transmission (drained) and that's with me packing the thing and them not lifting a finger. Is there a better way? This is through Navis and FedEx and UPS wanted way more than Navis. Too heavy for Greyhound, too heavy with adequate packaging to ship FedEx Ground (150# limit there). What have you guys used before?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    The freight companies tend to rape you unless you have an account. I created an account with ABF a while back and they took 50% off the "full" price.
    Good luck.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I shipped a T5 WC from Texas to New York in a plastic tub. Weight was much less though but I think FedEx.

What is cost of shipping a 125# box, i.e. one that's just haeavy and a little bulky, but no chemicals or anything. And maybe Old Dominion?

Get the whole thing to 149# and send it FedEx.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a 4.6 long block (550 lbs.) that shipped from Chicago on Tue. to Hutto today for $149.00 on Saia. If I would have been willing to have just $2500.00 insurance I could have gotten it down to $100.00.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Does it cost money to create an account? I don't foresee freighting much, if anything after this. Last time I shipped at the FedEx limit was a little 1.6L shortblock with a wooden box I built around it. The box added quite a bit of weight as it needed to withstand laying on its side, bouncing around, etc. That was my concern with packaging the trans as it starts bigger and heavier than the engine did.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Does it cost money to create an account? I don't foresee freighting much, if anything after this. Last time I shipped at the FedEx limit was a little 1.6L shortblock with a wooden box I built around it. The box added quite a bit of weight as it needed to withstand laying on its side, bouncing around, etc. That was my concern with packaging the trans as it starts bigger and heavier than the engine did.
    You don't know someone near you with a business account with a trucking company that will let you pay them cash? You would have to bring the trans to their location but.....

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    It should be free
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net