Thread: Foxbody, setting bumpsteer

Foxbody, setting bumpsteer

Hey Everyone.

I did a little searching the internet and this forum without success to my exact question. I could of missed it, but I figured I'll ask the experts!

A foxbody guy in Colorado needing some recommendations for setting bumpsteer. My first time doing all the alignment in my garage and could use some help.
    I made all my own gauges to do the set-up since I'm too cheap to buy all the fancy tools from MM or elsewhere. Also I find it fun!
    I've already done caster (checked camber at +20/-20 wheel turned) done camber ($10 level and bolts plus trigonometry) done toe (string around the car). And now on to bumpsteer...

The Car;
    '88 Mustang, with SN95 control arms/spindles. Still using Fox steering rack and QA1 bumpsteer kit.

I've read a rule of thumb is to have less than .02" of toe change per inch of suspension travel, but toe change in what direction???

1. Should I have the toe travel go towards toe-in or toe-out during suspension compression?
    2. Should I have the toe travel go towards toe-in or toe-out during suspension drop?

Overall I' going to try to shim the rod end to minimize toe travel but just don't know which way to bias the set-up.

Thanks for the help!

-Joe
    CMC #21

By the way, I'm a Rocky Mountain CMC guy, but I posted up here since I know the Texas guys have a good handle on the Foxbody cars and Mustangs in general!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    You will want to split the difference on bump and droop and shim to get the least amount of total change.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    This has been on my todo list, when I installed my BS kit I ran the a-arm through it's travel motion (simulated loaded) and shimmed until the tie rod angle and the control arm pivot point angles were as parallel as possible.
    I have had no noticeable bumpsteer so it's been on my todo list for quite some time.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    You will want to split the difference on bump and droop and shim to get the least amount of total change.
    Sounds Good.
    I think I'll just try to make both sides act the same.
    Thanks for the help.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    So you're actually going to race this year? More cars, more better!