1/4 cup turbinado sugar
    2/3 cup salt
    1-2 Tbs onion powder
    1-2 Tbs garlic powder
    1-2 Tbs paprika

Spritz" - 1/2 apple juice, 1/2 apple cider vinegar
    Every hour while on smoke, i.e. first 3 to 4 hours
    Every 3 hours after and before wrapping in foil to rest

Cook approximately 1.2 hours/lb but really until it's 202-205 degrees F.

Double wrap in foil and let it rest. Really. No, let it rest longer. 3-5 hours will only help. Drink beer while waiting.

ORIGINAL POST

Several have asked for it so here it is. My experience so far is that this amount is easily enough for a 10-12lb brisket, with some left over.

Rub 2.0
    1 cup black pepper
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    2/3 cup salt
    2 Tbs onion powder
    2 Tbs garlic powder
    2 Tbs paprika

"Spritz" - 1/2 apple juice, 1/2 apple cidar vinegar - about every 4 hours.

Cook approximately 1.2 hours/lb but really until it's tender with a probe, and/or about 195-205 degrees F.

I put the rub on Thursday night and wrapped it plastic for the ride in the cooler. We put it on smoke around 3:45 Saturday morning, bumped to 180 mid morning, and then 225 early afternoon to get it ready closer to 6:30. I took it off at around 197-198, and would say that the flat was a little under done.

Brisket linky - http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html
    Traeger linky - http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/de...6#.VT5CQyFVhBc
    • with the optional rib rack, I have smoked 4 racks at once. 15lb brisket would fit, 3 or 4 chickens, 18lb turkey, etc.
    • set to 350 for your favorite break & bake chocolate chip cookies
    • used mesquite wood for everything - also have oak, pecan, cherry, apple, hickory, apple, maple, and alder.

Pork Ribs

For those that had to suffer through the ribs on Friday night, it was the same rub to start. I use the 3-2-1 method and have been very happy every time:
    3 hours on smoke - 150-180ish
    2 hours sauced/wetted/wrapped - 225ish
    1 hour sauced and a little higher heat - 225-250ish

After the smoke, I baste with Stubbs Sweet Heat cut with honey, sprinkle on dark brown sugar, and wet with the apple spray. All that closed up in foil. After that 2 hours, open up the foil knowing the steam will take your skin off and baste with sauce and sugar again. Adjust the last hour plus or minus to your liking.

Stubb's linky: http://www.stubbsbbq.com/product/sweet-heat/

NEXT STEPS

Thoughts for Rub 2.1 is to swap some of the black pepper for cayenne when you want a little more heat.
    Thoughts for Rub 2.2 is to swap some turbinado sugar for some of the brown sugar to get a little "sweet suprise" sprinkled through the bark.
    Last edited by Fbody383; 06-29-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Cc
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Several have asked for it so here it is. My experience so far is that this amount is easily enough for a 10-12lb brisket, with some left over.

Rub 2.0
    1 cup black pepper
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    2/3 cup salt
    2 Tbs onion powder
    2 Tbs garlic powder
    2 Tbs paprika

"Spritz" - 1/2 apple juice, 1/2 apple cidar vinegar - about every 4 hours.

Cook approximately 1.2 hours/lb but really until it's tender with a probe, and/or about 195-205 degrees F.

I put the rub on Thursday night and wrapped it plastic for the ride in the cooler. We put it on smoke around 3:45 Saturday morning, bumped to 180 mid morning, and then 225 early afternoon to get it ready closer to 6:30. I took it off at around 197-198, and would say that the flat was a little under done.

Brisket linky - http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html
    Traeger linky - http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/de...6#.VT5CQyFVhBc
    • with the optional rib rack, I have smoked 4 racks at once. 15lb brisket would fit, 3 or 4 chickens, 18lb turkey, etc.
    • set to 350 for your favorite break & bake chocolate chip cookies
    • used mesquite wood for everything - also have oak, pecan, cherry, apple, hickory, apple, maple, and alder.

Pork Ribs

For those that had to suffer through the ribs on Friday night, it was the same rub to start. I use the 3-2-1 method and have been very happy every time:
    3 hours on smoke - 150-180ish
    2 hours sauced/wetted/wrapped - 225ish
    1 hour sauced and a little higher heat - 225-250ish

After the smoke, I baste with Stubbs Sweet Heat cut with honey, sprinkle on dark brown sugar, and wet with the apple spray. All that closed up in foil. After that 2 hours, open up the foil knowing the steam will take your skin off and baste with sauce and sugar again. Adjust the last hour plus or minus to your liking.

Stubb's linky: http://www.stubbsbbq.com/product/sweet-heat/

NEXT STEPS

Thoughts for Rub 2.1 is to swap some of the black pepper for cayenne when you want a little more heat.
    Thoughts for Rub 2.2 is to swap some turbinado sugar for some of the brown sugar to get a little "sweet suprise" sprinkled through the bark.
    A big thanks and around of applause for David and Reagan for pulling together an awesome Saturday night banquet! And all others who contributed it was amazing and so much fun!

NEXT STEPS

Hate to have missed this - sounds like y'all did a heck of a job!! Looking forward to "next time"
    I definitely like the turbinado sugar Dave - been switching to that myself. It sucks in moisture a bit more than brown sugar so it can be a bit trickier to get a firm bark but there's several ways to deal with that.

For Rub 3.0 let's chat...I think you might like one that I use with cayenne and cinnamon.

Well, this coming weekend I guess I need to cook the ribs and brisket I was saving for TWS - the Hallet stash (couple pork loins, couple racks of ribs and couple rump roasts) is in there already and I need to make room as we are collapsing down to just two freezers so we can "stage" the house for sale.

Senior Member Grass-Passer

What temp did you have it on before you bumped it up to 180?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    My 2017 resolution is to learn how to cook like a man.

Then we can have a midnight Tandoori oven going at Hallet this summer.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    What temp did you have it on before you bumped it up to 180?
    Just the pure smoke setting on the Traeger.

The Hallett 2016 brisket was version 2.2 - 3/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup turbinado.

I think the key to that one was that it rested for about 3 hours just double wrapped in foil.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Fixed Dave's "recipe"

CMC's Orange is Fast Rubbin' is Racin' 2.0
    10 gallons 93 octane
    7 quarts dark brown oil
    2/3 cup power steering fluid
    2 Tbs diff fluid
    2 Tbs brake fluid
    2 Tbs blinker fluid

"Sprintz" - 15 practice, 20 qual, 20 minute race - about every 4 hours.

Race approximately 1.2 hours/day but really until the car or driver is beat. Thankfully not getting whipped by a Ford Probe, the car likes about 195-205 degrees F water temp.

I put the bondo rub on Thursday night and wrapped it plastic for the ride in the trailer. We put on a smoke show around 3:45 Saturday morning, hoped to see the car running at 180 mid morning, and then 225 early afternoon when it got hot, praying it would last until 6:30. I took it off Turn 2 at around 197-198, and would say that the tires are now flat spotted and the car is now done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    My 2017 resolution is to learn how to cook like a man.

Then we can have a midnight Tandoori oven going at Hallet this summer.
    Mate pip and I are right there with you. Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    Fixed Dave's "recipe"
    Make the "CMC Night Before Hallett" and you to got somethin'...
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Post Hallett 2017 Rub and Technique Update

Rub 2.1
    1 cup black pepper
    3/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup turbinado sugar
    2/3 cup salt
    1-2 Tbs onion powder
    1-2 Tbs garlic powder
    1-2 Tbs paprika

Spritz" - 1/2 apple juice, 1/2 apple cider vinegar
    Every hour while on smoke, i.e. first 3 to 4 hours
    Every 3 hours after and before wrapping in foil to rest

Cook approximately 1.2 hours/lb but really until it's 202-205 degrees F.

Double wrap in foil and let it rest. Really. No, let it rest longer. 3-5 hours will only help. Drink beer while waiting.

Short story is cook what you like. We like what we cook. We like that YOU like what we cook. Just don't ask for sauce.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!