Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Brakes fail?
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Brakes fail?
    I did not talk to Craig but that is what I was told. Almost had to be.

JJ

Learning Moment:

When your brakes fail spin the car to scrub off speed. It is better for all parties.
    I learned this from James Proctor years ago when I witnessed him loosing a brake line.

I know of at least 4 CMC/AI brake failures and you need a plan beforehand.

Thanks to James for saving my ass when I lost my brakes at MSR H.

Dan #47

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Allford View Post
    When your brakes fail spin the car to scrub off speed. It is better for all parties.
    I learned this from James Proctor years ago when I witnessed him loosing a brake line.

Dan #47
    Great plan Dan. Just to clarify James did not lose a brake line but the brake pedal rod came off. Pedal just flopping and zero brakes.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Allford View Post

Dan #47
    That was his original plan, but the idea of hitting the inside rumple strip at any kind of angle other than straight seemed like it could've ended much worse.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    What a weekend. First want to thank Mark Smith for his incredible hospitality! Second thanks to everyone who was there for such a fun weekend including having my wife, kids, and Dad out. Sure was fun teaching my kids to ride the little 50 around at the track and having my son follow me around in the garage.
    Congrats to all the winners and to Michael Mosty for winning a much deserved Driver of the Year in addition to Pranav and Sean's awards-well done guys. Really great to be able to showcase that to the rest of NASA. Now all we need to do is work to shake our contact stigma. Which brings us to the downer for the weekend.
    Yes, Craig lost his brakes totally at the braking zone for Little Bend. He had video so will post it this week but sure it was a scary ride. I didn't have a clue it was going to happen so was pretty surprising. Fortunately everyone is going to be okay and cars can be fixed or replaced. Again I believe the safety equipment and specifically my halo seat did it's job. But certainly need to look into a few more upgrades on safety with a new helmet/visor and considering a fuel cell. All in all I think we are lucky it wasn't much worse. But I agree we should have a safety discussion on here specifically related to brake lines, possible failures, or anything preventative.
    Here again the group is what is awesome as the help/advice/parts that have been offered is great to see. More to follow.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    What a weekend. First want to thank Mark Smith for his incredible hospitality! Second thanks to everyone who was there for such a fun weekend including having my wife, kids, and Dad out. Sure was fun teaching my kids to ride the little 50 around at the track and having my son follow me around in the garage.
    Congrats to all the winners and to Michael Mosty for winning a much deserved Driver of the Year in addition to Pranav and Sean's awards-well done guys. Really great to be able to showcase that to the rest of NASA. Now all we need to do is work to shake our contact stigma. Which brings us to the downer for the weekend.
    Yes, Craig lost his brakes totally at the braking zone for Little Bend. He had video so will post it this week but sure it was a scary ride. I didn't have a clue it was going to happen so was pretty surprising. Fortunately everyone is going to be okay and cars can be fixed or replaced. Again I believe the safety equipment and specifically my halo seat did it's job. But certainly need to look into a few more upgrades on safety with a new helmet/visor and considering a fuel cell. All in all I think we are lucky it wasn't much worse. But I agree we should have a safety discussion on here specifically related to brake lines, possible failures, or anything preventative.
    Here again the group is what is awesome as the help/advice/parts that have been offered is great to see. More to follow.

I also wanted to thank Mark Smith for letting us use his garage (even if he did not know anyone but Bryan would be there).

I'm glad everyone was okay. Jay was pretty shook up thinking Craig and/or Bryan were hurt bad.

Bryan,
    What was the failure? Was it one of the clips you were worried about the day before? If so that is weird! A part like that should be safety wired. I have not talked to Craig so I don't know if he broke a rotor or lost fluid but I worry about the old brake lines under the car. Most if not all of us have installed new lines from the stock chassis line to the caliper but what about the old lines that were installed by the factory in 198?

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 03-14-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Great to see some of you guys again, if only for a moment. I had planned to hang out all weekend but my father passed away last week and had a hard time keeping a smile on my face - did not want to be a wet blanket. The one regret I have with my dad is we never got him out to the track like we always said we would. Logistics made it tough (most of my family is in Canada, Kyri has the car in Ohio) and there seemed like there was always "another chance"....turns out there wasn't.
    Planning to see you all at TWS and still working on getting Kyri and BFP out to Hallet.

You've got no idea how glad I am Bryan is ok, Dan's damage was minor and the rest of you were spectators. thank you all for the concern and offers of help, particularly Mike and Al for loading the car. I visited the doc as a precaution today, the aches n pains will be gone soon enough. I can confirm the brake pedal went straight to the floor at little bend and avoided Jay to the right as the rumble strip approached I was attempting to limit contact with the field, unfortunately that didnt work out as well as I had planned. Bryan and I talked through it today, the cars will mend and we live to tell the tale. I'm not going to say too much more until I get a chance to find the root cause but thanks again to the great group that is AICMC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXU6sBZbBBM

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Wow... that sucks for all involved. Having had two failures, I know how scary it can be and also how little time you have to think about your options.

For the record.. the first was the pedal falling off the rod. The clip had sprung and came off. This time I chose wrong.. I should have went right instead of left and might have saved the car completely.

The second time was a broken brake line at Hallett.. Luckily I chose correctly and spun the car to right and to avoid everyone. Mosty's failure helped me know where to spin for a failure in that area.

Glad everyone was okay... that was a really scary ride.