Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Tire Rack Plans

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar

Trailer Tire Rack Plans

I know I just gave these to Daniel and to Michael a while back and saw Tyler ask recently. Figured I would post the (slightly updated) plans for everyone and anyone to use or improve upon.

My main goal was to fit 8 275 tires/wheels on it. So many racks out there only allow 7. It's such a simple fix, and still within the legal 8'-6" width limit. Myself, Tilton, and Pranav all have tire racks of this design. The part I'm most proud of is that it can fit different trailer configurations. The legs can by placed anywhere along the main beams in any orientation and height. Tilton placed the front two legs along the front edge of the trailer to retain access to storage boxes. Mine are cut down fairly low to aid loading the tires, and bolted from the sides.

After looking at many trailers in the paddock, decided on the simple approach to retaining the wheels with the bar thru the centers. One complaint was that this method could damage the wheels especially if they are hub centric. My solution was to use conduit (instead of heavy pipe) with a pvc sleeve. Worked so far.

The idea we had for security was easily available locking hitch pins. I have just normal pins for when the trailer is in storage, and locking when tires are on the rack to save the locks from weather exposure.

The 1.00lb weight and barbell clamp does a decent job of keeping the wheels upright when using less than 8 wheels (or 8 wheels/tires narrower than 275's).

One addition I plan to add to mine (that isn't on the drawings) is a strip of ABS plastic on the beams under the tires so they don't rest directly on the steel.

Link to full resolution file... http://www.fototime.com/D30C9EF28FD4EF9/orig.jpg

Link to full resolution file... http://www.fototime.com/30D02F5416024CA/orig.jpg

.pdf format.
    http://www.fototime.com/A86B56955898AED/orig.pdf
    http://www.fototime.com/97EAD2E17D77A73/orig.pdf
    Last edited by Alien; 09-21-2016 at 11:14 PM.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Tiltons in the background, legs on front, braces pointed outwards.

Finished product.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Just a note to add. I'm using 1 1/2" steel tube to retain the wheel/tires in the event of an accident but will run a PVC spacer outside of the steel tubing.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I just built one for the enclosed myself, if I remember when I get home I can post it's dimensions. It too holds 8 CMC tires but it also folds up. I robbed some intellectual property from Ryan Rahjes' rack.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    The engineer in my feels these racks need fore-aft triangulation. Otherwise, very nice.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    The engineer in my feels these racks need fore-aft triangulation. Otherwise, very nice.
    Should be a simple fix by adding a cross brace to the sides. (triangles > rectangles in the engineering world)

Looks like a nice set up, man. I'll definitely mimic your design when I get a trailer. Thanks for sharing!
    1998 Camaro Z28 - Under Construction

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Headed to the shop today to weld my life away...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Too lazy to redraw plans at the moment in a way that's legible, but here it is in all its glory. Held to the wall with 15 screws and already survived a 240 mile round trip on shit roads. So much more room for activities! Before:

After:

The structural designer in me feels the 14" unbraced bay should be fine My dad (structural engineer) wanted too much $ to stamp the drawings.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Cool.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.