Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, what's the deal on the Radios??

So, what's the deal on the Radios??

I know there's still something cooking with the safety broadcast and Boudy's radio gig - what's the plan for the TX region?

We going to use them in October?

Senior Member Grass-Passer Boudy's Avatar
    Yes, there will be a Safety Broadcast provided in Houston.

For those who have radios and scanners already, the channels to be used for Safety Broadcasts with be as follows. 1 is the primary and 2 is the backup if we encounter interference.
    1) 464.5625
    2) 469.5625
    I will use these channels consistantly across all regions.

For those who don't have a way to monitor, here's what I have available:

1) Rental Units - $55
    Includes 1 radio that recieves SB and a listen only earpiece. Charged battery and mounting pouch also included. For those who already have my earpiece, rental of radio only is $30.

2) Purchase Units - $145
    Includes 1 radio that receives SB and a listen only earpiece. Charged battery and mounting pouch also included. For those who already have my earpiece, radio only is $120.

Yes, you can add another radio later and communicate with crew using this radio. However radio can only listen to the SB or listen to your crew, not both simultaniously. These are basic models that don't scan. 100% credit will be given if you chose to upgrade to a scan model next season.

There were not many takers at TWS, come on guys, this may be mandatory soon. Let's already be on board when it goes down.

Boudy

Boudy,

Thanks again for all of your hard work on this as well as the info. What is the price on a radio that scans? I'd like to get it all at once if possible rather than go through upgrades later. Also, I seem to recall some reception issues from TWS, is an external antenna needed/recommended?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudy
    Yes, there will be a Safety Broadcast provided in Houston.

For those who have radios and scanners already, the channels to be used for Safety Broadcasts with be as follows. 1 is the primary and 2 is the backup if we encounter interference.
    1) 464.5625
    2) 469.5625
    I will use these channels consistantly across all regions.

For those who don't have a way to monitor, here's what I have available:

1) Rental Units - $55
    Includes 1 radio that recieves SB and a listen only earpiece. Charged battery and mounting pouch also included. For those who already have my earpiece, rental of radio only is $30.

2) Purchase Units - $145
    Includes 1 radio that receives SB and a listen only earpiece. Charged battery and mounting pouch also included. For those who already have my earpiece, radio only is $120.

Yes, you can add another radio later and communicate with crew using this radio. However radio can only listen to the SB or listen to your crew, not both simultaniously. These are basic models that don't scan. 100% credit will be given if you chose to upgrade to a scan model next season.

There were not many takers at TWS, come on guys, this may be mandatory soon. Let's already be on board when it goes down.

Boudy
    Boudy, is there an option to test/rent a radio, earpiece and a crew radio this coming event? I am intersted in that as I will have pit crew with me to possibly relay some info during the race. would like cost for the two radio set and if there can be a test/rent/purchase credit if we like it.

also, what are the details for mounting and powering the radios in the car? Are they battery powered and come with chargers? I will scan for an argent labs website too.....

Thanks!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    What type of information is broadcast over the safety frequency?
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

The best method we've found is to monitor the incoming corner workers and relay that to the drivers. You'll hear about spins and when they clear, flags and when they clear, and other important info. The first SB was performed in Cali last weekend using the entire run group. 100% possitive driver feedback. Some said they never wanted to race again without it. Jerry listened in and he and Tony met on Monday. Needless to say, it's probably gonna be mandatory for AI/CMC next year in all regions with us paving the way to all classes to follow.

We had a couple problems at TWS. First, the back horseshoe is in the shadow on the back of that hill. Communications to that area will always be difficult. Second, the attempt at our SB was made without the antenna plugged into the radio so it was a wash. We covered Mid-Ohio and Infineon with no problems.

Radio Prices:

3 watt w/out scan - $120 ea
    Best value to receive SB but not suited for SB and comm to crew simultainiously.

3 watt w/scan - $179+
    Was slated for $179 but revisions are driving price up. If price reaches near the 5 watt unit, I will not bother with a 3 watt scan, pointless.

5 watt w/scan - $259 ea
    Ideal for talking w/crew on one channel while scanning the SB on another.

The following is needed based on your application.

Receive only earpiece - $49 ($25 for this last event)

Car Kit - $169 & $179 (Eartube vs Speakers)
    Includes helmet kit, car harness, and PTT.

External Antenna Kit - $79

Light Duty Crew Headset - $59

Heavy Duty Crew Headset - $279

Yes, radios come with chargers. Rental fees can be applied to purchase. It's $75 for a pair and headset needed for crew.

Boudy

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudy
    The best method we've found is to monitor the incoming corner workers and relay that to the drivers. You'll hear about spins and when they clear, flags and when they clear, and other important info. The first SB was performed in Cali last weekend using the entire run group. 100% possitive driver feedback. Some said they never wanted to race again without it. Jerry listened in and he and Tony met on Monday. Needless to say, it's probably gonna be mandatory for AI/CMC next year in all regions with us paving the way to all classes to follow.

We had a couple problems at TWS. First, the back horseshoe is in the shadow on the back of that hill. Communications to that area will always be difficult. Second, the attempt at our SB was made without the antenna plugged into the radio so it was a wash. We covered Mid-Ohio and Infineon with no problems.

Radio Prices:

3 watt w/out scan - $120 ea
    Best value to receive SB but not suited for SB and comm to crew simultainiously.

3 watt w/scan - $179+
    Was slated for $179 but revisions are driving price up. If price reaches near the 5 watt unit, I will not bother with a 3 watt scan, pointless.

5 watt w/scan - $259 ea
    Ideal for talking w/crew on one channel while scanning the SB on another.

The following is needed based on your application.

Receive only earpiece - $49 ($25 for this last event)

Car Kit - $169 & $179 (Eartube vs Speakers)
    Includes helmet kit, car harness, and PTT.

External Antenna Kit - $79

Light Duty Crew Headset - $59

Heavy Duty Crew Headset - $279

Yes, radios come with chargers. Rental fees can be applied to purchase. It's $75 for a pair and headset needed for crew.

Boudy
    too complicated for me....I am just going to stick to what has worked so far for me....getting our front and only worrying about lapped traffic.

Thanks Boudy for the info....

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    get the dayum radois Matt.
    i too was not convinced it was necessary TILL i used them @ Mid Ohio. after the first use, i was sold. no question in my mind that this is a good thing. i'm also glad to see this is possibly going to become a required part of safety equipment.
    @ the very least, you should rent a listen only set-up for the day to get a feel for it.
    Guys, please give this a try. i cant tell how much safer i felt @ Mid Ohio by knowing that X corners up, there was a standing/waving yellow and where the car was sitting. or knowing turn X was oiled down BEFORE i get to it. being able to plan ahead and change your line for your own safety and the corner workers and disabled cars/drivers safety is well worth the low cost of this equipment. you cant touch other systems for what he is offering it to us @.

Yep, you can expect it to be mandatory to monitor the SB for AI/CMC nationally in 07' and expect all classes to be mandatory in 08'. Outlaws and late models are already there as well as Legends at most tracks and others are following suit. At our level, without spotters, the safest way to be on the track is to use the corner workers as spotters and relay the info to drivers. I have not yet met a driver who didn't have some reservations prior to his first SB experience. I have also not yet met a driver who wants to go back on track with out it.

Believe me guys, Argent Lab could sell a radio to every AI/CMC car in the country tomorrow and I would not recover my investment. I started this first and foremost because of the need for it. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that the next guy got killed after I knew of a way to possibly, maybe, some how help and didn't push the issue. My primary customers are police and fire. When a radio doesn't work, someone could die. I take it serious.

Sure, I'll recover my investment in 2 or 3 years and maybe make money in 5. I did it because someone had to and I had the money this year to do it. If another driver never exits a blind corner to find a car sideways again, it will not be soon enough. Even if it's only 4 seconds notice, 2 seconds of brake may save someone's life. The driving force here is not money, profit, fame, or any of the other shit people may whisper. It's about saving the next guy's life. Period!

Now put the damn radio in your car.

Boudy

Jeesh, are we pissing you off Boudy? :?: