Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pad knockback - vid inside

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I tried in 2006.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    In my 11+ years of racing I have never heard anyone mention a rear pad knockback issue. Is this a bigger issue than I am aware of?
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    In my 11+ years of racing I have never heard anyone mention a rear pad knockback issue. Is this a bigger issue than I am aware of?
    Bad bearings/hubs make it worse. Some cars get it worse than others. Curb hopping in the miata makes it bad enough to need to pump the brakes gently on straights with your left foot. Spec E30s like it too. The GTS BMW I used to race never had an issue. Most people don't know it's an issue and drive through it. So it's not really an issue, but a condition that does exist regularly where some people can make up tenths under braking correcting for it. The brakes will generally still work, but you'll get much better initial bite if the pads and caliper are put back in place before the next corner. SO if you're ever getting your butt kicked on the brakes, this could be one of the reasons. (Don't get me started on F/R bias and pad compound combinations. That's a whole different thread) This is why you'll see really fast folks tap the brake pedal with their left foot going down straights.

This guy isn't the smoothest at it, but it was the first clear example I could quickly find on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHunY_BEuTs

Funny enough, looking for some AIM data on the interwebz this was the first article that pops up: https://nasaspeed.news/tech/brakes/p...o-do-about-it/

PS Speed News has VERY good search engine optimization, hence why I want to get our weekend race reports in there

PPS I hope nobody minds me sharing my experience with the poodle cars and bimmers. I just don't have much AICMC experience since Al and Todd took the big CMC fields to Texas when I was just a California kid!
    Last edited by nasawill; 02-03-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    Will Faules
    Regional Director - NASA Texas

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by nasawill View Post
    PPS I hope nobody minds me sharing my experience with the poodle cars and bimmers. I just don't have much AICMC experience since Al and Todd took the big CMC fields to Texas when I was just a California kid!
    I think we love all motorsports here and appreciate the input! I hope nobody had issues with me wearing Chevy pants last Sunday at the track!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    I think we love all motorsports here and appreciate the input! I hope nobody had issues with me wearing Chevy pants last Sunday at the track!
    I routinely wear a dodge shirt while driving my ford truck towing my chevy race car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I routinely wear a dodge shirt while driving my ford truck towing my chevy race car.
    Good way to piss off a redneck
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Blog Entries
    I tow the Chevy to the track with a Toyota so not sure where that puts me.

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I guess we haven't spoken much in 11+ years.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I guess not about that, haha. I was meaning more specific to the CMC rules since this is the first I have heard of this issue being discussed.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

I got to watch the Spec E30 guys at Laguna Seca West Nationals last season. It was like SM without the contact, most impressive!

Will the E36 with an LS motor be AI legal in 18?