Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Cracked

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar

Engine Block Cracked

Well the JB Weld kept the cracked water jacket sealed for 5 track events, the last one being Hallett. It finally failed. I think its time to pull the engine, grind all the JBWeld off and try MuggyWeld 77 welding sticks to seal it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezfKJCqRrPQ

Apparently a lot of boat engines and exhaust manifolds get repaired this way. Maybe its worth a shot. Hopefully when I rejoin you guys August 2020, the car will be ready to rock and roll into COMP School. The question is, after being away for a year, will I be ready. Probably not. But at least I got something to look forward to.

Anyone in Austin area got an ARC welder? I just bought a MIG, but that wont work for this project.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have TIG and MIG and guys that can really weld but no ARC welders.

Jerry

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    all tigs can be run as stick welders. they probably have the stinger in a box somewhere and just never use it.
    I'd rather TIG it with that rod than stick weld. you can remove the flux and TIG using that as filler rod. You may want to preheat before the repair, but a block is awful big.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUbzw6p83Q
    I have a TIG (and stinger for stick) but I'm way south and Jerry's guys are likely far more skilled.
    Stick, MIG, and TIG are all arc welding
    SMAW - shielded metal Arc Welding - Stick
    GMAW- gas metal Arc Welding - MIG
    GTAW - gas tungsten Arc Welding - TIG

Other repairs use high nickel content filler rod for cast iron. Cast iron is hard. it can be full of crap and there are many grades. I've used Si-Bronze and Al-Bronze, but it still isn't as easy and the interweb makes it look.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...cast-iron.html
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And all this time I thought arc welding was only stick welding. I guess all or most welding has to strike an ark. I also had no idea our Miller TIG welders could stick weld. I have been doing this for 36 years and we have never done it.

Heating the block could be an issue unless it's a small enough crack to heat with a rosebud. I would think you would need to control the cooling but obviously I know very little about welding. I have never struck an ark in my life.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Or he could do a 5.3 swap?
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Or he could do a 5.3 swap?
    I have considered it. I want to put a season or two on the TPI. First loves die hard.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Has anyone ever tried brazing? I am thinking to open up the cracks with a dremel, and then braze with Muggyweld SSF-6 brazing rods specifically for cast iron using a torch. Maybe I can preheat the assembled engine from the side using a propane IR heater so there wouldnt be any shock heating/cooling.

I just need to seal up the cracks, not to concerned about structural rigidity. I been back from Iraq since July, its time to start getting the car back into shape. Would like to make the ECR in December for HPDE. Will be the first time driving on 17" RR's (thanks Michael Mosty for the donation). Maybe comp school early next year to join you guys for the 2021 season.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Where is the crack?

I did some quick google about welding/brazing/soldering. I've done some copper pipe, but not much. Heat up the spot enough to melt the brazing rod and let it draw... Are you worried the fix will break it more... if it's not usable, clean it up, braze it and send it.

ECR is slick from the dust so a little water might improve some places.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Member Rookie
    I think it would be just as easy to find a 305 block and have it bored/honed to your piston size and swap the internals over. Have you ever assembled an engine in the past?

Member Rookie
    This is in Waco. I'd just grab it and throw your TPI/accy's on it and see what happens, can't be worse than a cracked block and I bet you can get it much less than asking price. At least then you're on track and getting some practice in.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...75025250081624